The Power of Prayer

I had a horrible shock early this morning. I won’t go into the details, because it’s too personal. But as I felt my heart pounding and my mind jumping to the worst, but seemingly inescapable conclusion, I was ready to fly into a self-righteous fury.

Then I stopped myself and prayed. Lord, show me what to do. Please show me what is right and true. Fill me with your peace, please, Lord. Fill me with your love and grace. No, I don’t want to be a doormat. I never want to be anyone’s fool again. But show me, please, how to handle this situation. Your will be done, Lord. Your will, not mine.

Peace began to settle over my soul as I prayed. Sweet, blessed peace, mixed with the pain of what I believed was true. And then, after praying for almost an hour, I confronted the situation in a quiet and calm way. The situation turned out to be something far different from what I had believed. The truth is clearly evident now, and the truth is good. I am so relieved and deeply grateful for the calming power of prayer!

This year my #1 goal is to seek God’s will first every morning, in prayer and total submission to His will. To seek Him in every difficult situation, before flying off the handle and behaving and speaking in any way that is not loving. His banner over me is LOVE. The greatest fruit of God’s Holy Spirit is LOVE. Jesus said that all of the commandments are summed up in the commandment to LOVE.

Prayer and Love. Love and Prayer. This is my daily goal for 2023 and for the rest of my life. ❤️❤️❤️

Matthew 22:36-40
King James Version

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

36 thoughts on “The Power of Prayer

1. Bruce Cooper January 7, 2023 / 2:19 pm

I don’t think you could have prayed any better than you did, Linda Lee, and God obviously honoured your prayer. That is a great reminder to all of us! Blessings!

2. atimetoshare.me January 7, 2023 / 2:58 pm

This is an awesome resolution for the new year and for the rest of your life. Talking to God directly is one of the benefits of being a Christian. You go girl❤️

3. ibikenyc January 7, 2023 / 3:17 pm

I’m so glad this turned out to be so different from what you’d initially believed! ❤

What a wonderful resolution! 🙂

4. rubycommenting January 7, 2023 / 3:18 pm

And thank you for pointing out while things can seriously look to be one way, it can in fact be very different. 😊 💕

5. seekingdivineperspective January 7, 2023 / 3:23 pm

Praise God! I’ve had at least one situation where I didn’t understand the situation, and if I had “asserted myself” immediately, I would have embarrassed myself big-time. 🤦

6. peacherbiker January 7, 2023 / 3:26 pm

great blog from a great lady. love you with all my heart

7. Nancy Homlitas January 7, 2023 / 6:37 pm

Prayer is the best “cell phone” there is and God is the best “phone a friend!”

8. Lisa Beth January 7, 2023 / 8:25 pm

Ah, the testimony of God’s peace, thank you for sharing. Such an encouragement for us all to “stop myself and pray”! So much angst could be avoided if we all remember that.
    Press on dear sister, thanks again. ❤

9. Cathy January 8, 2023 / 1:32 pm

Wonderful testimony of the power of prayer. Thank you for sharing and for the encouragement!

10. Paul Martin January 9, 2023 / 5:03 pm

Great goal to have! Praise God that He moved you to pray before jumping to the wrong conclusion!

11. musingsofmanettekay January 10, 2023 / 12:01 pm

I love this, Linda, through prayer you allowed the power and wisdom of the Almighty to untangle the misguided perceptions the enemy wanted to trap you in. God bless you.

12. Mary Humphrey January 17, 2023 / 10:31 am

I felt your shift. Thank you, Father, for your gift. Your love. The ability that you have given us to reach out to you, to speak with you…to pray. Amen.

13. Beverley January 30, 2023 / 12:18 pm

This is a wonderful goal, Linda. Seek the Lord first in everything. That is a goal I want to adopt. Thanks for sharing