An Arctic Freeze, a Bomb Cyclone, and a Failed Home Invasion

Here is the full story about my recent narrow escape from an attempted home invasion. I hope my experience will help someone else stay safe, if they ever encounter a similar situation. I’m sorry this post is so long, but I didn’t want to leave out too many details.

I woke up early on the morning of Wednesday, December 22, 2022. With the severe weather warnings in mind, I checked our outdoor thermometer and saw that the temperature was 2 degrees above zero. It had fallen from the previous day’s high of 64, in less than 18 hours. (That’s a high of almost 18 Celsius to a low of -16, for those who don’t use our Fahrenheit system.)

According to the news reports, this extreme weather change was caused by a Bomb Cyclone pushing the Arctic Freeze much further south than normal. Here in eastern New Mexico where my husband and I live, we are accustomed to a wide variation of weather. But a freeze this severe is unusual here. After seeing my husband off to a medical appointment, knowing that he wouldn’t be back for several hours, I wrapped myself in a blanket and sat down on the sofa to work on my computer. Even with our furnace running almost nonstop, I could feel the chill in the air.

Alone in the house, with our three dogs curled up on the sofa beside me, I prayed — and tried not to worry. I was worried about my husband driving through the cold, about loved ones traveling this time of year, and worried about our old furnace possibly breaking down, and the water pipes that run through the slab foundation freezing. The last time we had a really bad cold spell, the electrical power grid went out for a short time. What will we do if it happens again?

POP POP SLAM CRACKLE SLAM CRACKLE POP-POP-POP SLAM! A loud, vibrating racket, sounding like nothing that I have ever heard before, came from the vicinity of the front door. Our dogs erupted in frenzied barking, as I put on my slippers and walked to the door.

The loud racket stopped just before I peered through the peephole. Everything looked normal outside. I didn’t see anyone on the porch or in the yard, and none of the heavy branches on our huge mulberry tree had fallen off. I shush the dogs, then open the interior door.

Now I am looking at our glass and metal storm door. It is still closed and double locked. The glass hasn’t cracked or broken. But a sign that I had taped onto the inside of the glass, a notice to deter solicitors, has fallen off and is lying on the floor at my feet. How did that happen? The sign has hung there for years, firmly taped on all four sides, with no indication that the tape was coming loose. Could the single digit temperatures have caused the duct tape to freeze and pull away from the glass? If so, could the tape popping off the glass have caused that loud racket?

I pick up the sign, close and lock the interior door, and return to the sofa. Moments later, I hear a knock on the front door.

I shush the dogs once again and walk back out into the hall. Through the peephole, I see a young woman, someone I have never seen before. She is very pretty and nicely dressed, as though she is on her way to a formal occasion.

I open the interior door and then try to open the storm door. But the upper lock on the metal and glass door is frozen.

“Is Monica there?” asks the stranger on my porch.

“No, there isn’t any Monica here. What’s her address?”

“I don’t know, she just said that she lives on this street.”

The young woman isn’t wearing a coat over her nice outfit. I struggle with the door, trying with all my might to get it opened, so she can come in out of the cold.

“I’m sorry,” I tell her. “I know you must be freezing, but I can’t get this door to open. The lock seems to be frozen solid. I don’t know anyone on this street named Monica. You need to get someplace warm. Take care of yourself. God bless!”

She gives me a strange look before turning away. I watch as she walks across the yard and gets into the passenger side of a white, late model car that is parked on the street. I notice that there is at least one other person in the car.

A few hours later, my stepdaughter calls to chat as she is driving home from work. She is a Sergeant in a nearby county jail. I tell her about my visitor.

“Who goes to a random house during an arctic freeze, looking for someone who lives on this street, when they don’t even know the address where the person lives?”

I did not expect an answer to my rhetorical question, but my stepdaughter had one.

“The people who do that kind of thing end up living where I work,” she said. “It’s called a home invasion. There were probably some other people, waiting around the side of your house where you couldn’t see them. That woman was the decoy, all dressed up to win your trust, so you would open the door and let her in. As soon as the door was opened, her co-conspirators would force their way in behind her. Then they would have tied you up — or worse. And then they would have gone all through the house, stealing anything they can trade for drugs. TVs, computers, any kind of electronics. Antique knickknacks, jewelry, even costume jewelry. They’ll take anything and everything they can get their hands on.”

“Are you serious?” I asked. “But she seemed so nice.”

“It’s all an act, to win your sympathy. And it’s been happening more lately, in this area. The fact that she asked for a person, without giving a last name, and she didn’t know the address where that person lives — that’s a big clue that this was a setup. These people will knock on doors at all hours of the day or night, and ask for ‘Harold’ or ‘Suzie’ or any random name. All they’re doing is trying to get you to open your door. Sometimes they dress up nice, like that woman did. Other times, they wear torn, ragged clothes, and cry that they are starving, or say they are being chased by an abusive boyfriend or that someone is trying to rape them, and they need you to let them in. But it’s all an act, to gain access to your home. If anything like that ever happens, where someone comes crying to your door asking for help, tell them through the door that you are calling 9-1-1. But don’t open the door and let them in!”

My stepdaughter advised me to call the police non-emergency number and report what had happened, so they could be on the lookout. I did, and the officer I spoke with agreed that it sounded like an attempted home invasion. “From now on, Ma’am, if someone comes to your door and you don’t recognize them, don’t even open your inside door. It’s a good thing your lock was frozen! We’re going to patrol your street, and we’ll be on the lookout for this woman you described.”

After talking with the officer, I thought about the weird, loud, rattling, popping and crackling sounds that I had heard shortly before the woman knocked. What could have caused that?

I went to the front door, opened the interior door, and took hold of the handle on the locked storm door. Then I shook the storm door back and forth several times. The glass and metal door does not fit very tightly in its frame. As I shook the door forward and backward, it made the same loud, popping, crackling, and rattling noises that I had heard, right before the knock. So either that woman, or one of her accomplices, had tried to force the door open. When they couldn’t get in that way, then she had knocked.

I am sharing this experience with my blogger friends, because I want you all to be safe out there. Please don’t open your door to strangers. I hope you all are staying safe and warm in this crazy weather. I know the Arctic Freeze and Bomb Cyclone are hurting a lot of people, and I pray that our weather will soon be back to normal. But I am so very grateful that this freaky weather froze the lock on our front door!

© 2022 by Linda Lee Adams @LadyQuixote
Feel free to repost, but please include my copyright. Thank you.

53 thoughts on “An Arctic Freeze, a Bomb Cyclone, and a Failed Home Invasion

1. ibikenyc December 25, 2022 / 3:50 pm

Oh, No! My knees are a little weak with relief that this worked out the way it did. (Nowhere near so much as yours, I’m sure!) Thank God you’re okay!

Assuming your honey is back safe, too!

Merry Christmas, my dear! ❤

2. peacherbiker December 25, 2022 / 3:53 pm

great post I love you

3. Phoebe Sparrow Wagner December 25, 2022 / 3:57 pm

Oh my your wanting to let this young woman in to warm herself was exactly what I would have done no question! I’m so very glad to have read this post as I learned a thing or two!! And I’m very glad your frozen door prevented you from being kind…. Which is a strange thing to hear myself say but after this episode I know you will understand. Thank you, my friend!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 4:01 pm

Dear Phoebe — I literally got goosebumps all over my arms as I read your comment just now.

• Phoebe Sparrow Wagner December 25, 2022 / 6:48 pm

And you are very lucky to have a stepdaughter in that particular field. I would never have dreamed that things happen like that, that people do such things. I am, like you, way too trusting and I hope that I learn when NOT to trust someone.

4. Cathy December 25, 2022 / 4:22 pm

A frozen lock! The Lord has many ways to protect His children! I’m so glad you and your husband are safe. Praise God for His mercy, and thank you so much for sharing! ❤️

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 5:16 pm

Thank you, Cathy! I was just talking with my son who lives in Pennsylvania. I had told him about my close call soon after it happened, so he and his wife would be aware of the danger. He said he has felt all day like this is Thanksgiving rather than Christmas, because he is so grateful that his mom wasn’t hurt.

5. seekingdivineperspective December 25, 2022 / 4:23 pm

Talk about divine intervention … ! It may not have been ice, it might have been an angel holding the door shut! (or both) I thank God for the times He saved me from my own gullibility. We may never know this side of heaven how many times He has saved us without our knowing it.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 5:19 pm

You are so right, Annie. When I look back over my life, I’m a little blown away by all the close calls that I have survived. I am so unworthy! But God’s grace truly is amazing!!

6. Mary Humphrey December 25, 2022 / 4:25 pm

Oh no! So incredibly scary. There was one small thing saving you – a frozen lock, and our almighty God!!

I don’t have one, but I am thinking we will all need a ring camera before long. Too many oddball things happening.

I am glad that you are safe. I am trying to figure out how to say this…but I’ll just ask, do you feel any recurring trauma or anxiety over what happened? I believe I would.

By the way, your post is not too long. I write blogs for clients. My posts are often 600-1,000 words, per client request, and I sometimes edge upwards to slightly less than 1,200 (the number where I start removing a LOT of unecessary words).

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 5:31 pm

Thank you, Mary. My son just called from Pennsylvania to wish me a Merry Christmas, and we talked quite awhile. I had told him about my close call, shortly after it happened, so he and his wife would know about the potential danger. He said he hasn’t been able to stop thinking about what I told him, and he felt like today was Thanksgiving rather than Christmas, because he is so grateful that I am alright.

To answer your question, I have to say honestly that I am not sure. My emotions are a big mix: gratitude, amazement, and YiKeS what if it happens again?!? In googling ‘home invasion,’ I found one site that said something like in 51% of the cases, whether the attempted home invasion was successful or not, within one month the perpetrators try it again, at the same house! I also found numerous sites saying that New Mexico has the highest rate of home invasions per capita, in all the U.S. Yikes again!!

Going out the front door to get the mail is now an exercise in courage, and prayerful watchfulness.

7. rwfrohlich December 25, 2022 / 4:54 pm

Something similar happened to us many years ago. They had a car backed up in our driveway, ready to receive a load of loot. When I said I didn’t know the person they asked for, they left. I was shaking as I called the police to inform them of this close call. Glad it ended well for you.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 5:12 pm

Wow. I’m feeling a little shaky, just reading this. I’m so glad for you and your family that it ended that way, too!

8. Sue Cass December 25, 2022 / 6:44 pm

The Lord watches after His children and He sure was then. Glad you are safe.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 7:09 pm

Thank you, Sue. I’m still kind of in shock, you know what I mean? Yes, I am sure you do know. 🙂

• Sue Cass December 25, 2022 / 7:41 pm

That’s why I have storm doors on every outside door.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 8:04 pm

Good!! Our back door used to have a storm door. But one morning when I was taking our dogs out to do their yard business, a mean north wind blew that door right out of my hand and knocked it off its hinges. I didn’t think that we needed to replace it, but now I know better.

9. kavya December 25, 2022 / 8:23 pm

This whole situation is insane. I am happy that you are safe and out of danger. You being safe itself is our Christmas gift 🎄🎁♥❤

Who knows her dupe name itself is Monica and she gaslighted you by asking Is Monica there? I find it funny her asking you that 🤭 I wish I can slap 👋 her. I wonder how many people houses she invaded as not everyone will be lucky enough to escape I hope she gets caught and arrested 🚓🚨 very soon.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 8:49 pm

That’s an interesting thought, that she might have used her own name. Who knows with someone like that, what is going on in her mind. It is insane, I agree with you. Do you have anything like this happening in your country?

10. kavya December 25, 2022 / 9:29 pm

Yes Linda it happens a lot in my country. When someone locks their door and go outside there are robbers who break the lock and invade the house and loot things. Of course it doesn’t happen all the time but we can never know with whom these things can happen and there are goons who show knife or gun to people and loot their houses too.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 11:08 pm

That’s sad. There is so much evil in this world. I like to focus on the good, and indeed there is a lot of good in life, to make our hearts glad. But it is wise to be aware of the evil, so we can avoid falling into a trap.

11. kavya December 25, 2022 / 11:10 pm

It’s very true we need to be aware of the evils in this world as it can happen to us too and happen to our loved ones too.

12. bornagain732 December 26, 2022 / 5:03 am

So thankful to the Good Lord you are ok!! 🙏🏻❤️🙌

13. atimetoshare.me December 26, 2022 / 7:37 am

I’m so glad God was watching over you. It’s really sad the extent people will go to when they’re addicted.

14. oldandblessed December 26, 2022 / 8:01 am

WOW! I’m glad you’re okay. Thank God! Not to belittle your experience; however, you wordsmithed it quite well in post number 2. This makes me appreciate my wife’s caution when she answers the door. I installed our peephole too high for her to get a good look, so she always asks, “Who’s there,” whenever she answers the door. I’ve told her countless times that she’s being overly cautious. One can never be too cautious in these crazy times.

15. Nancy Homlitas December 26, 2022 / 8:48 am

Home invaders must not be afraid of dogs anymore. Your three dogs barking while the likely wannabe intruders may have been lurking around your house is concerning. Please thank your stepdaughter for being so informative with what could be life-saving hints that you shared with your readers.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 26, 2022 / 3:21 pm

I was thinking the same thing. What were these people planning to do, come in and shoot our dogs? Or turn them out on the street? I always thought that our dogs barking was a good deterrent. Now, I don’t know what to think.

16. Paul Martin December 26, 2022 / 3:01 pm

Wow!!! God allowed your door to be frozen shut to protect you!!!! Glad you’re safe!!!

17. Blue Collar Theologian December 26, 2022 / 5:42 pm

Terrifying. Praise God for His protection, Mama Linda! I am so thankful that our heavenly home will be ABSOLUTELY free of robbers, invaders, thieves, murderers etc. praise God you are ok. I can understand why you son thinks it’s Thanksgiving. Praise God for His Provision and Protection. Linda, you are loved!

18. Beverley December 27, 2022 / 7:25 am

I am so glad tha you are okay, Linda. The Lord is protecting you. When I read your story it sends chills all over me. The devil is on the patrol but thank God He is in control 🙏 🙌

Thank you for your support throughout the year and I am looking forward to seeing you next year.

19. Cindy Dawson December 28, 2022 / 12:06 pm

Linda, I’m so glad you’re safe!! Angels were watching over you! Merry Christmas! Blessings!

20. mitchteemley December 28, 2022 / 6:28 pm

Wow, first I’ve heard of this ploy. Glad you are/were safe, Linda!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 28, 2022 / 8:45 pm

Thank you! It was very weird. The funny thing is, our county sheriff lives just two houses down from us, on the same side of the street. I’m guessing these people weren’t aware of that fact.

21. Cederq December 29, 2022 / 9:43 pm

You are indeed a lucky lady! Your Angel was hovering close to you! I am an older man and I don’t open the door, especially at night and not unarmed either and being a retired psych nurse and a retired Army MP, I know how to take care of myself.

22. Renee🌻 January 1, 2023 / 2:10 pm

It sounds like you had a divine intervention, Linda! There is no telling how many times we have been spared from harm without knowing at the time! I’m so glad you’re ok! And hubby made it back safely! I will definitely be aware of this tactic and not open the door to strangers!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote January 1, 2023 / 5:00 pm

Thank you, Renee. Yes, that’s why I wanted to get the word out, so others would know about this.

Today, my stepdaughter came to visit and while she was helping her dad with something, she cut her thumb really bad and had to go to the hospital to get stitches. Man, it’s always something in this broken world, isn’t it? But the doctor said the tendons seem to be okay, so yaay for that.

23. musingsofmanettekay January 2, 2023 / 5:57 pm

Linda, thank you for sharing your experience and the wisdom from your stepdaughter. I’m grateful you’re okay and that we can praise Father God with you. Our society is heading in the direction of greater lawlessness. Yet as believers, we need not live in fear but rather trust the Holy Spirit and be aware of our surroundings using great discernment at all times.

24. SLIMJIM January 3, 2023 / 6:05 pm

Wow so crazy; glad they didn’t go all the way. It is sad to see the craziness of the times