An Arctic Freeze, a Bomb Cyclone, and a Failed Home Invasion – Part 1

Are you a good judge of character?

I just saw this WordPress writing prompt: ‘Are you a good judge of character?’ My answer: No, I am too trusting. Why do I say that? Because a couple of days ago, I tried to open our front door to someone who was probably up to no good. I could not get the door to open, however, because the Arctic Freeze had frozen the lock completely solid. It was only later that I realized how close I had come to being a victim of a criminal home invasion!

I want to tell you the full story, in hopes that my experience may help someone else avoid becoming a victim. But dinner is almost ready, and I am still in a little bit of shock over the events of December 22. So I will follow up with Part 2 in a few days. In the meantime, be careful, stay warm, and God bless.

That’s me and my husband in the picture, back when we were young and crazy bikers. We’re a little more grown up, now that we are great-grandparents. πŸ˜€

32 thoughts on “An Arctic Freeze, a Bomb Cyclone, and a Failed Home Invasion – Part 1

1. Nancy Homlitas December 24, 2022 / 6:41 pm

Thanks for the warning, Linda. I usually let my husband answer the door. He has a loud bark! However, in your recent experience, it sounds like no one should have been opening the door. I look forward to your next post. Merry Christmas!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 24, 2022 / 8:21 pm

My husband has a loud bark, too. But when the close call happened, he was gone to a medical appointment and wasn’t due back for several hours. Merry Christmas, Nancy. ((HUGS))

2. ibikenyc December 24, 2022 / 6:51 pm

Very glad you’re okay! Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Meantime, MERRY CHRISTMAS, my friend! Best of health and every happiness in the new year! πŸ˜€ ❀

• Sue Cass December 24, 2022 / 7:35 pm

Thank you and yes I am feeling better, just being blessed with heat and no burst pipes or trees on the house. I woke up to 5 degrees with minus 12 this morning. That Artic Blast hit us but the Lord has definitely kept us safe and warm. This is the South, we aren’t supposed to freeze! I feel like I’m back in Wyoming. No thanks! lol

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 24, 2022 / 8:16 pm

Oh good, I am so glad that you are feeling better and keeping warm. Our outdoor temperature got up to 64 degrees on Wednesday afternoon. Less than 18 hours later, by sunrise on Thursday, the outdoor temp was just 2 degrees above zero! Like you, I was worried about water pipes freezing, the old furnace not giving out, and the massive tree in our front yard not losing all its limbs on our roof Then, with the outdoor temperature still in the single digits, trouble came knocking. Thank God for the frozen door!!!

• Sue Cass December 24, 2022 / 8:18 pm

I’m anxious to hear the rest of the story.

3. atimetoshare.me December 24, 2022 / 8:51 pm

Can’t wait to hear the rest of the story. Merry Christmas πŸŽ„

4. kavya December 24, 2022 / 9:20 pm

It’s crazy that this happened. Thank God you are safe β™₯

5. Bruce Cooper December 24, 2022 / 9:38 pm

Looking forward to Part Two! A blessed Christmas to you and yours, Linda!

6. SLIMJIM December 25, 2022 / 2:32 am

Praying for your saftey; looking forward to part 2

7. rubycommenting December 25, 2022 / 3:43 am

Great picture Linda! My back doors lock is frozen shut too right now. I was always too trusting and gullible. In fact I read that there is a gene for gullibility. Can’t wait to read part 2 😊 πŸ’•

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 5:38 am

Thanks, Ruby. A gene for gullibility — wow! How interesting. I have the rarest blood type, the rarest eye color. If it’s rare, I probably have that gullibility gene, too. πŸ˜‰

I woke up after only four hours of sleep, thinking about what to write in part two. Going to work on that now.

8. oldandblessed December 25, 2022 / 6:05 am

Okay, drama queen, don’t make us wait too long for part 2. 🀣 Happy Holidays to you!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 11:21 am

Lol. I only got about 4 hours of sleep last night, because I couldn’t stop thinking about how to finish this story. I finally gave up on sleep and started writing before 5 AM. Now I’m trying to cut out the extraneous words — it’s almost 1300 words long. Oh the pressure! Thank God I’m not famous, I know now that I couldn’t handle it. Happy Holidays to you, my friend.

9. granonine December 25, 2022 / 6:11 am

I think I want to know what happened! Merry Christmas, Linda πŸ™‚

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 11:22 am

I like the way you put that, Linda. LOL. It’s all good, I assure you. I just need to cut the extraneous words out of the rest of the story. It’s too long right now for a blog post.

10. Mary Humphrey December 25, 2022 / 7:49 am

Okay, I am probably missing the point, and I look forward to Part 2! Ha! I so enjoy your blogs, even though I think I have confused you (with my 2…and actually 3 blog ID’s).

So, yes, I am very intuitive and I am an empath, so I pick right up on character. This is a gift, but I have to be careful with this gift to ensure I don’t think too deeply…and instead listen.

I am glad that you are safe! God’s divine intervention (if I understand your story with no Part 2, ha) kept that door locked solid.
    πŸ™‚

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote December 25, 2022 / 11:18 am

Yes, I believe you are correct about God keeping the door locked solid. I am working on the rest of the story now. Trying to figure out how to cut out the extraneous words, so it doesn’t run on too long. Right now it’s almost 1300 words.

11. hatrack4 December 26, 2022 / 2:40 pm

Yep, I would have probably opened the door to answer it, but our porch is so short, they have to ring the doorbell and then step back a couple of steps for the door to open, so I might get the door closed if they charged at me.

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote January 1, 2023 / 5:02 pm

Thank you! I sometimes miss our biking days. But after the last accident, when my hubby almost lost his right leg, we agreed that our biking days are over.