The Day I Met Gorbachev — Blog Archives – Philip Yancey

The following is a fascinating story by author Philip Yancey. I found this particularly interesting, in light of recent and current events in Russia. (PS: to my blogger friends who have wondered why I haven’t written on my blog in so long… I have been dealing with some health issues. Prayers are much appreciated. I hope to be writing again in the near future. – Love & Hugs, Linda Lee Adams @LadyQuixote)

Please tap on the link below to read Philip Yancey’s first person account of his meeting with Mikhail Gorbachev:

I grew up during the Cold War, an era dominated by the two superpowers, the U.S. and the Soviet Union. Then in 1989 came one of those history-changing… read on The post The Day I Met Gorbachev appeared first on Philip Yancey.

The Day I Met Gorbachev — Blog Archives – Philip Yancey

19 thoughts on “The Day I Met Gorbachev — Blog Archives – Philip Yancey

1. Phoebe Sparrow Wagner September 22, 2022 / 7:47 pm

Hurrah! Glad you posted. I’m off to read the Yancey essay, but first I wanted to say: I never met “Gorby” nor any Russian or soviet leader, but at the age of 16 I went to Leningrad from Finland with my twin sister and it was an amazing trip. In 1969 it was the summer of the moon landing and we had spent much of it teaching English (or attempting to) in Finland. To take a break we went on a tour to Leningrad. My memories of the city are that the buildings were beautiful, pale pastel colors, but the people were uniformly gray. Frightened when one of us snapped a photo, they stood in three different lines just to buy a loaf of bread…Gorbachev as President was of course years in the future, and the Soviet Union was at that time still going strong. I never dreamed then that it would one day revert to the original name of St. Petersburg.

Good to see you posting. And while you know I’m not the praying type, I do think of you and hope your health issues are soon resolved, or at least improved greatly.

Take care,

Phoebe

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote September 22, 2022 / 8:28 pm

Aw, dear Phoebe, I’m so glad we are in touch again. Thank you for sharing that story. What an amazing experience that must have been!

Speaking of the moon landing, I remember it well. The story will be in my memoir — if I ever get the thing finished and published, that is.

Thank you for your caring thoughts. You are leaving for France on the 4th of October, right? I will be having an MRI of my brain the following day, to try to figure out what’s been causing some of my health issues. ❤

• Phoebe Sparrow Wagner September 23, 2022 / 7:14 am

Dear lady Linda

I have had several MRIs of my brain and I must tell you that while I hope for nothing but good results I personally love brain MRIs! Dunno why but as soon as I’m in the machine I start to float and see colored patterns that respond to the vibrations of the machine. I don’t know if others have had this lovely experience but I look FORWARD to brain MRIs!!!

Anyhow I just wanted to tell you this because many people fear them but not everyone!

Good luck and my fingers crossed my thoughts are with you.

Love
        Phoebe

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote September 23, 2022 / 7:54 am

Oh wow! Yes, I have been feeling a little nervous in anticipation of the upcoming brain MRI. Not so much now, after reading this. Thank you for sharing your experience. I know I will be thinking of you during the procedure. 😀

2. atimetoshare.me September 23, 2022 / 7:13 am

Prayers for healing. God be with you ❤️

3. Nancy Ruegg September 24, 2022 / 3:40 pm

Have already been praying for you, LInda, as you work through your memoirs page by page. I’ll add these health issues to my requests for you. / Thank you for sharing this article by Yancey. How sad for the Russian people that circumstances unfolded the way they did after Gorbachev left office. There are lessons here for America!

• Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote September 24, 2022 / 6:31 pm

Oh, Nancy… I can’t tell you how much your prayers mean to me. I am still writing in my memoir, at least a little, every single day. It has been well worth the journey, even if the Lord calls me home before I finish it. Writing my life story has been hard, yet enlightening and healing.

Yes, how sad for the Russian people, and for Ukraine. Lessons for sure.

4. musingsofmanettekay September 26, 2022 / 7:43 pm

Linda, praying for the restoration of health and the peace of God to wrap you securely. Thanks for sharing Philip Yancey’s post. It is a great story!

5. ibikenyc October 5, 2022 / 2:25 pm

Sorry I’m so late to the party 😦

I so hope you’re feeling and getting better and taking good care of yourself ❤

Praying for you and your honey 🙂