HOW STRONG ARE YOU?

This post by Kathy Boecher is exactly what I needed to read right now. My husband had surgery a few days ago, on his 73rd birthday. The surgery was only supposed to take about an hour and a half, but it lasted over 3 hours. Oh how I prayed and prayed and prayed, as I feared the worst.

My husband is home now, and taking care of him is a full time job. But I thank God that he is getting stronger every day, and his terrible pain is finally beginning to ease up.

Yesterday I saw in the news that the rock star Meat Loaf has died at the age of 74. Suddenly, I can’t stop thinking about a time in my life, more than twenty years ago, when I lived in Pennsylvania. I became close friends with Virginia Edmonds, an elderly woman who was, at that time, Meat Loaf’s mother-in-law. She was recently widowed when I met her. We belonged to the same Lancaster club and became close friends during that time, in part because she said my wild hair reminded her of her granddaughter, the singer Pearl Aday.

Oh, the memories! I miss my precious friend, Virginia Edmonds, Leslie Aday’s mother, and Pearl and Amanda Aday’s proud grandmother. Virginia passed in 2016. And now, the son-in-law she affectionately referred to as ‘Meat’ has passed on, too.

I’ve been reminding myself lately that getting older isn’t for sissies. Like Kathy says so beautifully in this post, we need to be strong in the Lord!

atimetoshare.me

ISAIAH 41:10 ESV  “fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

The Winter Olympics are officially underway.  As usual strength is the common denominator for all the athletes.  Will they be able to stand up to the competition?  Will they fall victim to fatigue, mental anxiety, fear?  Or will they triumph over their fellow athletes and excel by winning a coveted piece of metal?

As we go through life our strength is being tested by the minute.  How much more of this COVID virus can we endure?  How will we face the illness if we get it? How can we withstand the isolation and see hope in an unknown future?  Will we ever pass the tests placed before us?  Can we overcome the…

View original post 218 more words

18 thoughts on “HOW STRONG ARE YOU?

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote January 22, 2022 / 6:24 pm

So true. During my agnostic-almost-atheist years, I didn’t have the strength for much of anything.

1. macalder02 January 22, 2022 / 6:18 pm

It is in difficult times that we have to draw the necessary strength to overcome extreme health situations, especially when it comes to supporting your husband in his recovery. Faith moves mountains and turning to God is prayer, it is calming the spirit. A story of a memory with a lot of longing. I hope your husband is soon recovered. A hug

2. Nyssa The Hobbit January 23, 2022 / 2:26 am

You knew Meat Loaf’s mother-in-law? 😮 (Six degrees of separation for sure!)

This is a good post to see after the internal day I’ve had. Everything from the pandemic, to politics, to saber-rattling in Europe, to hitting middle age without achieving super writer stardom, to perimenopause, has been weighing down on me today. Plus I think somebody at church recovering from COVID passed it to me. (Fortunately, since I’m vaccinated, it’s just a two-week sniffle.) It helps to be reminded I’m not the only one.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote January 23, 2022 / 7:55 am

Oh, dear, precious Nyssa! I’m praying for you right now. I’m so glad my menopause days are far behind me. I found that the natural supplement, evening primrose oil, helped me so much with that. And, when the hot flashes felt like they were coming out of a blast furnace, I added a wild yam supplement and then — nobody had to die, lol.

My stepdaughter is using the evening primrose oil now and very thankful for it. However, she did not like the wild yam, can’t remember why. I buy our supplements from Puritan’s Pride.

Bear in mind, I am not a doctor. Just telling you what worked for me. Sending ((HUGS))

And yeah, Virginia Edmonds was Leslie’s mother. Meat Loaf and Leslie were married around 23 years. Here’s a funny thing, one of the things I loved about Virginia. Whenever anyone would make a big deal out of the fact that she was his mother-in-law, Virginia would put her hands on her hips, toss her head, and declare: “I… was somebody… BEFORE Meat Loaf!” : -D

3. granonine January 23, 2022 / 5:27 am

I’m 74. Some of my friends are already in heaven, and it makes the truth of the phrase “life is but a vapor” really hit home. Enjoyed this post.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote January 23, 2022 / 8:20 am

When we’re young, 70 seems so far off in the future. I remember when I turned 30, I thought I was old. My granddaughter will be 30 in a couple of months. Wow. A vapor, indeed!

4. oldandblessed January 23, 2022 / 6:41 am

The title of this blog offers me a writing prompt. The machinery in this web infested mind of mine is churning. Look for a blog from me soon. Thanks. Glad to hear that your husband is doing better. Thank God!

5. Cathy January 23, 2022 / 12:59 pm

I’ll turn 73 this year. The older I get I see that I need the Lord’s strength more and more both physically and spiritually. On Christ the solid rock I stand… 🎼 r🎵 🎶

6. ibikenyc January 24, 2022 / 7:23 am

Hello, my dear! 🙂

So glad the surgery is behind him and that he is back home! Thank God!

Also sorry that it took so long. I can’t imagine what that was like for you {{{{{HUGS}}}}} I am praying that he recovers steadily and fully ❤

How interesting — and cool! — that you knew Meat Loaf's mother-in-law! Six degrees of separation, indeed.

Sorry I've been so distant. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers ❤

7. Anonymous January 24, 2022 / 7:36 am

Great post, Linda. Thanks for sharing. As I read it, I thought of Isaiah 40:8
    New International Version
    8 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God endures forever.”
    Our life is a vapor!
    Praying for your husband’s quick recovery and your strength and patience to take care of him.

8. Paul Martin January 26, 2022 / 4:36 am

I am currently in a season of blessing. Kind of a “mountain-top” experience. But I actually told the Lord this morning, as I’m thanking Him for His blessings, to prepare me for the inevitable and necessary “valley” season. The valley is where the trials and storms of life come. And it is where we grow and obtain strength. But as we read the famous Psalm 23, we are reminded that He is ALWAYS there with us! And honestly, the valleys make the mountain-top views that much sweeter and breathtaking!!!
    This is a GREAT post!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote January 26, 2022 / 10:05 am

Hurray for seasons of blessings! But I agree, the valleys make the mountain top views even sweeter.

Yesterday, during my MRI, saying Psalm 23 over and over and over again in my mind, got me through. The Lord is my Shepherd… how amazing is that!