Pause Before Reacting to Drama

Here’s an excellent post written by a new blogger friend, Mary Humphrey:

His Pasture Press

Well, it is early in the new year, and I am already dealing with what I call β€œpeople problems.” Drama. Similar to Junior High School stuff.

I feel that texting makes drama worse. Texting can be deemed as harsh because we do not write in-depth when we text. When we text, we write in shorter sentences and with less description (compared to writing a blog or an email). I call it cryptic writing, meaning, the text may leave us feeling as if we need to decode or analyze it, and especially in dramatic situations, texts may hold hidden meanings. (Yes, I am laughing as I write this. What a mess we put ourselves into when we text in this manner!)

Here is another downfall to texting drama – you never know who the text is going to be copied and sent to. Also, there is a problem with group texting…

View original post 468 more words

12 thoughts on “Pause Before Reacting to Drama

1. seekingdivineperspective January 7, 2022 / 6:04 pm

Well, I majored in drama (theater) in college, so … πŸ˜‰
    The problem I have with texting is that you can’t see the person’s face or hear their tone of voice. “Emojis” can be helpful, but have you ever hit the wrong emoji? :/ !
    When it became possible to dictate texts, I’m sure it made texting in the car safer, but it opened up a new set of problems.
    I was nervous about an upcoming book signing, because the books I had ordered hadn’t arrived yet. I asked a friend if she would pray with me that the shipment would get to me in time. Later I got a text from her, saying “I certainly will pray for your b******t.” (A word I had never heard her use.) At first, I was taken aback. Could someone have hijacked her phone? I thought she LIKED my books! Then I realized she had probably dictated the message and said, “Book shipment.” But her phone had its own opinions of my writing!

2. Lisa Beth January 7, 2022 / 6:56 pm

Good points here! “Pause” and avoid drama and I would add, “proofread”. Perhaps if we re- read our text we would re-think.

3. Mary Humphrey January 8, 2022 / 8:19 am

I enjoyed writing this post – and I see a lot of us are in the same boat with our feelings about texting. I put texting off for a number of years, and then, sadly (ha), I caved in. I still avoid it as much as possible. Lisa said “proofread” in her comments. Yes, spellcheck is goofy when we text. I was texting my husband yesterday, and my phone insisted on changing the words no symptoms to symptomatic. Go figure!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote January 8, 2022 / 8:50 am

I’m shaking my head over your phone changing ‘no symptoms’ to ‘symptomatic’. My phone’s autoincorrect is just as bad. Throwing the phone across the room does not help. I speak from personal experience, unfortunately. πŸ˜‰

4. granonine January 8, 2022 / 8:34 am

I rarely initiate texting. Hate typing on my phone. My thumbs don’t bend that way, so it’s one-finger drudgery. And I agree that texting can lead to no end of drama.

5. Paul Martin January 20, 2022 / 5:05 am

How many times has this happened, and we didn’t realize it until we hit the “send” button? 😯 Or, we send the right text to the WRONG person!!! 😯😯😯😯😯
    Been there… Done that… πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚