My husband and I got to see our daughter for a couple of hours yesterday. This was our first visit since she was deployed from her Department of Defense job on an Air Force base to help with the Afghan Evacuees. Our daughter’s deployment was originally only supposed to be for 30 days, but this has now been extended to 90 days. Which means that “J” won’t be returning home again until December 31.

We met our daughter yesterday with a truck load of items that she will need to get through the cold winter months. She is living in an unheated tent, adjacent to the camp of approximately 15,000 Afghans that she is working with. This camp is located at high altitude, where the nights in November and December typically get very cold, often as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit, which is -10 Celsius. BRRRR! We loaded her up with warm clothes, thermal underwear, thick socks, warm coats and bedding. We’re praying she now has enough to keep warm. We love her so much!

One of our daughter’s jobs is helping the Afghans learn some of the important differences between our two cultures. The evacuees come from a country where the bathroom habits are very different from ours. Many of them are afraid to use our toilets. So, what do you do when nature calls and there is no suitable plumbing?

This is a sign that was recently erected on the military base where our daughter is working with the evacuees. “J” took the picture with her cell phone. The company that made the sign does not have the ability to print in the Afghan languages. They are trying to find a sign manufacturer who can do this. In the meantime, “J” and her coworkers are teaching the evacuees what this sign means. Because, apparently, it is a big problem:

Please Do Not Poop In The Rocks. This sign is REAL, people!

So much has been going on in my life lately, which is why I haven’t been posting or reading a lot of the blogs that I follow. I have so many things that I want to share with my blogging friends, but it has to wait, for now.

Please continue to pray for our daughter’s safety. Also, please say a prayer for my husband. He will be having a heart catheterization next Wednesday. I am trying not to panic about that. God’s got us, right? Right!

Sending love and ((HUGS)) to all of my precious readers. You really do mean so very much to me. ❤

52 thoughts on “Funny Things Happen When Cultures Collide – an update on our daughter’s work with Afghan Evacuees

1. elahministriesinc October 22, 2021 / 5:17 pm

This reminds me of when we were leaving Israel and got stopped at the border for inspections. I needed to use the bathroom and was pointed to a small wood “box” out in the desert. Entering I had to laugh. It was a hole in the ground. I’m glad I knew how to “go in the woods.” It seems each culture has their own ideas about defecation. lol Prayers for her safety.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 22, 2021 / 7:52 pm

Thank you so much for your prayers, Sue. My oldest granddaughter has travelled to India, Japan, and Pakistan. We were just having a text conversation about the different bathroom habits she has encountered in her travels. I will have to tell her about the Israeli box with the hole in the ground. I think she encountered something similar in India.

• Sue Cass October 22, 2021 / 9:03 pm

The “box” wasn’t big enough to be called an out house. lol

2. Bruce Cooper October 22, 2021 / 5:46 pm

Got you and your whole family covered in prayer Linda Lee. Blessings!

3. Blue Collar Theologian October 22, 2021 / 5:49 pm

Shared this with Nathan and he knows. I’ll leave it at that. Thanks for the update, Mama Linda!!! 🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘🧡🧡🧡

4. granonine October 22, 2021 / 7:03 pm

We ran a small motel for three years. During the busy summers, other resort and motel owners helped each other by forwarding guest to other available rooms when they were all filled up. We did that one night, never gave it another thought,

The next morning, the woman who owned the little resort called me. She was laughing but clearly frustrated as well. The renters from a country which I will not name, apparently didn’t understand about the toilet. They had used a top bunk to. . ah. . .well, poop. Wrapped the sheet over top of it. When my friend went in to clean, she almost lost her breakfast. Of course she burned the sheet and its load, and threw out the mattress as well.

Too bad she didn’t have a sign: “Please poop in the white chair with a hole in it, right next to the sink and the tub. There’s a shiny silver lever you push when you’re finished. Please, please don’t poop in the bed sheets, on the beds, on the floor, the rugs, or outdoors.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 22, 2021 / 7:48 pm

Oh my goodness. I can’t imagine. Actually, I CAN imagine. Yuck!

I sent the Don’t Poop in the Rocks sign to my oldest granddaughter. She has travelled through India, Japan, and Pakistan, and she is married to a wonderful man from Pakistan, whom she met when they were both students at Harvard. We just had a lively text conversation about the different bathroom habits she encountered in her travels.

But — defecating on the top bunk and wrapping it in the sheet? That’s a new one! I will have to tell my granddaughter. With her master’s in sociology, she finds these cultural differences fascinating.

• granonine October 23, 2021 / 9:24 am

My husband had a college roomie who squatted on the toilet seat. They knew he did because he left his footprints. He didn’t understand that you could SIT on the seat. The other guys were happy to educate him 🙂

5. atimetoshare.me October 22, 2021 / 7:39 pm

God definitely has all of this, even when it seems like he isn’t paying attention. I will pray for your daughter, your husband and you. You’re in the best of hands.

6. Renee🌻 October 22, 2021 / 7:55 pm

Will keep your daughter and hubby in my prayers. God’s got them both in His hands! 🙏🏼

7. oldandblessed October 22, 2021 / 8:23 pm

Thanks for bringing your blogger friends up to date on what’s going on with you and yours.I know it probably seems sometimes that misfortunes in life last longer than a season, but those of us who are believers are walking through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, not taking up residence. My prayer is that He will take care of you and your family in the way that only He can.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 22, 2021 / 8:30 pm

We’re walking through, not taking up residence. I love that. Thank you!

8. Tricia October 23, 2021 / 12:06 am

Really enjoyed this post Linda, thanks for the laugh! Many prayers for your daughter and husband and yourself as well. 🙂

9. hatrack4 October 23, 2021 / 4:25 am

Many people in India refuse to place their soiled TP in the toilet. When they come to visit, they make a pile next to the toilet, thinking you are crude for not having a basket there. Of course, in India, the “untouchables” empty the basket. Why else would you call your servant an untouchable?

• hatrack4 October 23, 2021 / 6:14 am

And the people in the slums of Mumbai do their business in the ditch or river. Indira Gandhi built beautiful high rises for them, but if you have to go to the bathroom outside, running down four flights of stairs is inconvenient, so they rented the apartments out to others and moved back to the slums. Who has the culture shock? Your daughter or the people she is trying to teach?

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 23, 2021 / 7:41 am

From what our daughter has told us, everybody has the culture shock. She’s loving the experience but there have been some really bad moments, too.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 23, 2021 / 10:48 am

Thank you. She is one of only 9 workers there who is required to carry a gun. She almost had to use it once already.

• hatrack4 October 23, 2021 / 1:07 pm

I only pulled my 45 once, when someone reached from behind me to simply hold $10,000. He touched it, but my 45 made an oily ring on the tip of his nose. Only time I ever did pay officer from a tent. He let go of the money quickly. My bodyguard fussed that I was stealing his job from him, but that was the end of the incident.

10. May I Help Ministries October 25, 2021 / 2:08 am

Prayers and love are sent your way… to you, your husband (healing prayers too) and your daughter (including ALL those who come in contact with you and your Family). God bless 🙏♾💕♾

11. tidalscribe.com October 25, 2021 / 4:16 am

Well done best wishes for your daughter’s work. I guess a lot of patience is involved. I guess their fear of modern toilets is rather akin to the first time encountering a vacuum suction toilet on an aeroplane and fearful of being sucked in!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 25, 2021 / 5:07 am

Thank you. Yes, I remember the first time I flew on an airplane as a child and being afraid of that toilet. Good point!

12. Cindy Dawson October 26, 2021 / 9:48 am

Linda, I will be praying for you, your husband, and your daughter. Yes, you certainly have a lot going on right now. Many blessings, my friend!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote October 26, 2021 / 11:32 am

Thank you! Our daughter just called a few minutes ago and said that the Air Force wants her to stay until the end of the mission. She has no idea how long that will be. She has 4 little dogs that may need to come and live with us and our 3 dogs. All of the dogs are inside dogs. I want to run away from home now. Just kidding, but.. yikes! At least she is enjoying working with the Afghan evacuees, for the most part.

• Cindy Dawson October 26, 2021 / 2:02 pm

Wow! It’s a dog party! (One of my son’s favorite books when he was little was Go Dog Go) We still say, It’s a dog party! even though he is 41!

13. successbmine October 26, 2021 / 10:33 pm

Will be praying.
    This reminds me of a tour I took to Europe back in 1971. Our bus stopped at a backwoods place in France and we all headed for the washroom. Well, it was different than we were used to. It was porcelain, but it was flat on the floor so you had to stand up. One older lady called out from her “stall” asking which way you should stand–facing the front or back. Not sure what difference it would make, but it did give us a chuckle.
    Glad I thought to check my spelling before I posted this. I had myself on that tour in 1071! Man, I must be old. 🙂

14. Nancy Ruegg October 27, 2021 / 3:26 pm

God bless your daughter for the work she’s doing–with compassion and care. I’m thanking Him even now for keeping her encouraged, supported, and WARM!!

15. Victorscorner October 28, 2021 / 11:32 am

God will see your daughter and husband through. Remain blessed.

16. mitchteemley November 3, 2021 / 3:42 pm

Praying, Linda. How great that she’s doing that! Blessing to your fam, sis.

17. marianbeaman November 3, 2021 / 6:48 pm

I see so many caring commenters here–for you and for your daughter J. She is covered in prayer and so are YOU and your hubby. She must have been inspired to serve because she has seen love and compassion demonstrated in your home.

As you know, a heart catheterization is a test, one that my husband has taken. Shortly after, he had a stent inserted in an artery, and he has not had serious problems since, although he takes prescribed medication. Prayers ascend for protection, healing, and strength. Blessings! 😀

18. Holly November 4, 2021 / 9:54 pm

Wow, what an incredible work your daughter is doing. She must be such a light to each of those precious refugees. ❤️ I am standing in agreement with you and our other brothers and sisters that the Lord’s mighty hand would protect J in all she does and everywhere she goes. He must beam such a huge smile every time He looks at her! It warmed my heart to hear that you and your husband got to spend some time with her, and were able to provide her with the things she’ll need to survive the frigid temperatures.

Praying also that your husband’s catheterization went well? Sending so much love to you & your family.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote November 4, 2021 / 11:44 pm

Thank you so much for your prayers and your very kind words. Yes, my husband’s heart catheterization went very well. I need to write a new post with updates.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote November 14, 2021 / 5:11 am

Thank you so much, Jim. Her initial 30 day deployment has now been extended to the end of the mission, which could be as long as two years, according to those in the know.