Yet Here We Are — Reasoned Cases For Christ

I love this post by Bruce Cooper. For many years, I called myself an “agnostic, almost an atheist.” I believed that with my high Mensa IQ, I was much too intelligent to believe in “God and other fairy tales.” I did not understand how an all-knowing, all powerful, God of LOVE could allow so much trauma and grief in my life, and in the whole world. Starving children? Babies born horribly deformed? Wars and earthquakes and tsunamis that kill thousands of people in a single day? Cancer? Child abuse? My list of grievances against the God I refused to believe in was endless.

Furthermore, I wanted to live life MY way, not the biblically moral way. Starved for love, I wanted to continue my quest of desperately looking for love in all the wrong places. Hmmm, right. “Love.”

When I eventually, inevitably came to the end of myself, I finally cried out to the God whom I did not believe in, and I asked Him to please show me if He exists or not. It did not happen overnight, but it did happen! And now, as I contemplate the truths in Bruce Cooper’s article below, I wonder how I was ever so blind as to NOT believe in the truth and reality of Jesus Christ!

PS: Regarding my questions about why an all-powerful, all-knowing, God of love would allow so much evil and trauma in this world — I still don’t have answers to my many questions. But I have learned, beyond any doubts, that the great Creator really, truly is a God of amazing grace and perfect LOVE. I also realize that God’s IQ is far higher than mine. Therefore, I trust Him — even when life hurts and I do not understand. ❤

Yet Here We Are — Reasoned Cases For Christ

The “Pale Blue Dot” picture above, is a photograph of planet Earth taken on February 14, 1990, by the Voyager 1 space probe from a record distance of about 6 billion kilometers. If one endeavours to envision the vastness of the universe, our earth is but a speck of sand in an ocean of sand […]

Yet Here We Are — Reasoned Cases For Christ

24 thoughts on “Yet Here We Are — Reasoned Cases For Christ

1. Bruce Cooper September 18, 2021 / 7:56 am

Thanks for the repost LInda Lee. Those prayers for your book are still going in! Blessings!

2. Lee Poskey September 18, 2021 / 8:39 am

Good mornin to you miss Linda.
    I guess because I’m not very intelligent, I never wrestled with such thinking to impair my coming to Christ.
    I was too busy being overwhelmed with my own guilt to be thinking about or questioning God’s motives in things.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 18, 2021 / 8:53 am

I would say that you are much more intelligent than me, especially when it comes to the things that really count. I realized a long time ago that having a high IQ simply means that I happen to be very good at taking a particular type of test. It’s kind of like getting a really high score on a computer game. That’s nice and all, but can you walk and chew gum at the same time, without tripping over something? Balance your checkbook? Figure out all the features on your smart phone?

Me, not so much! 😉

• Lee Poskey September 18, 2021 / 9:04 am

Hey, we all have a function in the body of Christ, none more special than another.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 18, 2021 / 11:07 am

Hey brother Lee, I removed all of the references to the deceased individual, like you asked me to do, from your comments and also from my replies. Please refresh your browser and reread our comment conversation and let me know if that is satisfactory. If not, I will delete everything if you still want me to.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 18, 2021 / 11:15 am

You are welcome. Sorry I didn’t see your requests sooner, I was outside doing yard work. Cutting up and hauling off parts of a dying tree that my husband recently had cut down. Say, did you know that termites will infest a dying tree? And when they feel threatened, by an old grandma who is cutting up their dead branches, they will BITE?! Ouch!!

But hey, I am getting exercise…

3. granonine September 18, 2021 / 12:23 pm

Linda, as a therapist I had many people in my office who were suffering, angry with God, not understanding why He allowed so much misery. My response, while not intellectually brilliant, was biblically accurate. The Bible says that the rain falls on the just and the unjust. God NEVER promised that believers would not suffer. He did, however, promise the He would walk through those trials with us. Why is there suffering? Because there is sin. We live in a fallen, sin-sick world. I am just a sinner, saved by grace. How do I know He loves me? Because He allowed His son to suffer and die in my place. And that’s just the beginning.

I think I’ve written on this topic somewhere through my years of blogging. I searched for a little while, but didn’t find what I was looking for. Well, it’s in there somewhere in my 12 years of posting 🙂

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 18, 2021 / 1:45 pm

Thank you so much for this beautiful, thoughtful response. And yes, I agree with you 100%! Jesus warned His disciples that in this world, they would have tribulations. At the same time, He told them to be of good cheer, because He has overcome the world, and He promised to be with His followers always, even to the very end of the age.

Today I know that His promises are true, from personal experiences. God is so good!!!

4. PreacherBiker September 18, 2021 / 12:49 pm

Love it

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

5. Renee🌻 September 19, 2021 / 5:13 pm

I think we all have to come to the end of ourselves to see there is a much bigger plan for our lives than we ever dreamed. And His loving arms guide us every step of the way. Even in our questioning and anger. He totally understands and loves us through it all. ❤️❤️❤️

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 19, 2021 / 6:27 pm

Yes! He totally understands and loves us through it all! How great is our God!

6. Paul Martin September 21, 2021 / 4:27 am

This is an AMAZING post! It’s funny maybe, but one of my favorite things to speak/ write about is the proof that exists for who Jesus is, and what He has done! The question of, “If God is real, then why____..?” often comes up. I often approach it from the fallen humanity perspective. That is, I often say that God never intended for suffering, sickness, pain, etc. But, because of sin, we are appointed to this. BUT, I like to also point out to those who ask that the Bible calls Jesus, “the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world” (Rev 18:24b) I use that to let them know that even from the beginning, God had and HAS a plan to redeem mankind through Christ. I may blog on this subject as well soon !

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 21, 2021 / 7:59 am

I hope you do blog on this Paul. You have a gift for explaining things in an understandable and thought-provoking way.

• Paul Martin September 21, 2021 / 8:04 am

Thanks. I don’t know if it’s a gift… More of an obsession! 😂 I don’t get to blog much lately.. I am working alot. But I do get here when I can! Love seeing your posts!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 21, 2021 / 9:49 am

Aww, thank you. I know it’s hard to get online when you’re working so much. I hope you and your family are all healed from the covid? I’ve been praying.

7. Matt C. September 21, 2021 / 8:18 am

Thanks for sharing that, Lady Lee. I, too, have struggled with my spirituality. In fact, I still am. Your share is heart warming and worthy of consideration.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote September 21, 2021 / 10:07 am

Thank you so much, Matt. It’s good to see you here. Yes, struggling with spirituality after being abused is totally understandable. It is also very common, from what I understand.

My dad was the pastor of the church we attended throughout most of my childhood, when he was arrested for trying to murder my mother. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, when it comes to the abuse and trauma I grew up with.

I know that in your case, your abuse was done by a member of the clergy. So really, how could we NOT struggle and question God after that?

What I have found is that going to God with my doubts and questions and yes, even with my anger, is actually a good thing. Why? Because God gets it. As it says in Psalms 94, the One who created the ear hears, and the One who created the eye, sees. Which makes total sense, right?

My husband is a chaplain and he has PTSD from multiple severe traumas. He, too, has gone through doubts in the past because of these things. He doesn’t have doubts anymore, but it took him years of seeking answers and seeing a Christian therapist, to get past his doubts.

My husband recently sent me a meme that says:
      Many turn from Jesus because of a bad experience with religious people. But know this, Jesus also had a bad experience with religious people. He was killed by them. Religion will not save you. Only Jesus Saves!

8. Nancy Ruegg September 21, 2021 / 3:46 pm

Praise God for your testimony, Linda. I pray nearly every day for agnostics in our family–also highly intelligent! You’ve given me fresh hope, dear friend!