Hunting and gathering, circa 1957 — Bluebird of Bitterness

If you are a ‘boomer,’ you’re going to love this video posted by the amazing blogger, Bluebird. Thanks, BoB, for the trip down memory lane. I could have been the little girl in this film. We really did dress that way, too. 😀

YouTube claims this was made in 1962, but according to the fine print in the film itself, it was made in 1957. Either way, if you’re a baby boomer who went grocery shopping with Mom back when you were a young whippersnapper, this will bring back memories. If you watch all the way to the […]

Hunting and gathering, circa 1957 — bluebird of bitterness

9 thoughts on “Hunting and gathering, circa 1957 — Bluebird of Bitterness

1. oldandblessed April 13, 2021 / 9:53 am

Of course, this was the experience of some Americans back in 1957, but not mine. There were places that didn’t want my family or me to walk through their doors back then. Oh well, America the beautiful, the complicated.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote April 13, 2021 / 10:26 am

America the beautiful and the complicated, indeed. Sadly, I remember the rampant, blatant racism of those days, only too well.

When my paternal grandfather was twelve years old, he left home to live on his own because his mother was part black and was subject to the terrible discrimination of the Jim Crow era. My grandfather, with his blue eyes, smooth black hair, and lighter tan skin, could pass for white.

It has only been within the past couple of years that I have been able to locate and correspond with my cousins from that side of the family. Senseless racial prejudice has torn our world apart. It’s sin, that’s what it is.

2. henhouselady April 13, 2021 / 10:08 am

Wow! That video brought back a lot of memories. I remember wearing dresses like Betty when I was a kid. I also remember the price on the cash register when the total rung up. You also have to remember people didn’t make very much money in those days.

3. mrsmariposa2014 April 13, 2021 / 10:38 am

Not a boomer, but, old soul thaf I am, this made me smile nonetheless. Thank you, Linda! 🙂

4. silverapplequeen April 13, 2021 / 10:43 am

I wore pants. I only wore dresses to school & to church. & I refused to wear pink ever.

5. lilyofthevalley777 April 13, 2021 / 11:34 am

As you know Linda, I’m a boomer, but have yet to watch the video, but will later. Just wanted to add that our mom kept us in car every time she went grocery shopping. That was back in the days no one thought anything about it. My sister and I were always at each others throats in the back seat while we were waiting. No wonder she wouldn’t let us go in with her. 😄