What’s with all the spam comments?

Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in spam? Lately I have been getting dozens of spam comments a day, adding up to multiple hundreds a week. Nearly all of them say the same thing, in Spanish: Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion? This comment is being posted over and over again, by multiple accounts. The majority of them are being posted to my blog posts that are at least a year old.

I am grateful for Askimet catching most of these nuisance comments and putting them in my trash and spam folders. Still, I like to go through those folders to catch the occasional comment that is not spam and it is time consuming, even using the bulk edit. I also like to block each spammer before deleting their comment, and you cannot block in bulk.

Not being a Spanish speaker, I pasted one of these comments into the Bing translator. This is what Muchas gracias. ?Como puedo iniciar sesion? translates to: Thanks a lot. How can I start session?

Which makes zero sense.

Who are these spammer people and why are they doing this? Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot (Muchas gracias). I will now end session. (Ahora terminaré la sesión.) I hope your day is blessed. ❀ Unless you are a spammer, that is! 😠

This is our dog, Baby, staring down my hubby, telling him she does too need another treat. Because this post needs a little cuteness. πŸ™‚

Who’s the boss here? πŸ˜‰

40 thoughts on “What’s with all the spam comments?

1. jarilissima March 18, 2021 / 9:53 am

Hi! That sounds really annoying, and yes, your translation is correct. It’s exactly what you think– spam. I get some similar to that, but in English. I think they just want to act like they’re doing a collab just to get your information.

I would recommend never accepting! I wouldn’t even reply or anything. There’s a block feature on WordPress, but you might also find that the volume is too large to block each one individually.

Sorry this is happening to you.

2. Dora March 18, 2021 / 9:55 am

Oh what a cute picture!!! Love it. I didn’t know you could block spammers. Thanks for the tip!

3. lilyofthevalley777 March 18, 2021 / 10:00 am

That is perplexing Linda. Who would take the time to mass comment nonsense on old blogs?

When I made comments on YouTube Christian channels, I’d get trolled with hateful comments back, but that doesn’t happen anymore, but I do know my comments I make now are shadow banned.

I also get alot of spam/junk emails and spam phone calls which I don’t answer. So I guess either there are people who have way too much time on their hands (because of covid lockdown), or AI randomly selects peoples websites to harrass with nonsensical spam comments.

Anyway, vaya con Dios, mi amiga.β™‘

4. Blue Collar Theologian March 18, 2021 / 10:07 am

I have been getting the same spam comment as well!!! Nice picture! My puppy wants to come to your house because you give treats!

5. Sue Cass March 18, 2021 / 10:41 am

I’m getting the same spam in Spanish like you are on 2-3 of my blogs and it’s every single day! Why they do it? Boredom? Think they are accomplishing something? Trying to get info? Who knows, but they need to get a life! I just delete them and move on. But it is irritating.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 18, 2021 / 11:00 am

Yes it is, very irritating. At least our spam phone calls have mostly stopped. For months, we were being inundated every day with calls about our car warranty and our social security accounts. They need to get a life, indeed!

6. Lesley March 18, 2021 / 11:15 am

I keep forgetting I’ve got a spam folder . . . I should check it!
    The photo is absolutely lovely. I don’t think anyone is the boss here – this is a mutually loving relationship. πŸ˜€

7. bluebird of bitterness March 18, 2021 / 12:36 pm

I’ve been getting a lot of spam lately too. It’s weird how it flares up, settles down, then flares up again, like an incurable chronic illness.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 18, 2021 / 12:56 pm

Yes! That’s exactly what it’s like. An incurable chronic illness.

I just found a way to be productive while blocking and deleting dozens of spam. I did it while exercising on my stationary bike. Did 6 miles in a little over 30 minutes, and emptied my spam and trash folders in the process. Woo hoo!! Now I feel… kinda tired. But otherwise, GREAT!

Time for a cup of Earl Grey Decaf tea. πŸ˜‹

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 18, 2021 / 3:48 pm

So that’s the secret to your brilliance! Hmmm, maybe I can listen to podcasts, while riding my stationary bike, while going through the spam…

On second thought, I’d better not. I might fall off the bike and break something. I’m pretty good at doing two things at once, but three things tends to overwhelm me.

You’re such a brilliant and talented bird, I bet you could do all three. πŸ˜€

• ibikenyc March 18, 2021 / 2:35 pm

You go, girl! πŸ˜€

Sometimes I wish I had room for a stationary.

(Also a Bowflex. And money for a trainer and a Yoga instructor to come in. And, while I’m at it, a salon-grade pedicure chair and someone to come in for that, too, and. . . )

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 18, 2021 / 5:55 pm

I found how to block certain words under the discussion settings. Thank you! I had gotten 25 more of these senseless spam comments in just the past couple of hours. Hopefully this will put a stop to them.

8. bornagain732 March 18, 2021 / 4:52 pm

I’m not seeing that spam BUT I’m sure appreciating the cuteness to this post ❀️

9. Perth Girl March 18, 2021 / 6:37 pm

Have been getting the spam comments too. It is frustrating.

10. escapingthecage0d76919ed5 March 19, 2021 / 4:18 am

Gosh, I didn’t even realise I had a spam folder. I must go and have a look. Thanks

11. escapingthecage0d76919ed5 March 19, 2021 / 4:18 am

Love the cute photo!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 19, 2021 / 6:37 am

Thank you! That darling dog woke us up about an hour and a half before sunrise this morning, barking like mad in the living room. She never does that. I wonder if someone was in our yard, maybe contemplating a break-in? All is quiet now, so if there was an intruder, she scared them away. πŸ˜€

12. ourlittleredhouseblog March 20, 2021 / 12:45 pm

Yep…I am getting it too. I don’t know what that is about but there seem to be many trolls and ugly old computer viruses that go together hand in hand when that does happen. So annoying. I love that photo, such love displayed in it.

13. Anna Waldherr March 21, 2021 / 9:22 am

Love the dog…the spammers not so much. I, too, have experienced those Spanish language spam messages. I presume they are sent out in large numbers on the off chance even a single one will generate a response.

14. Beverley March 22, 2021 / 2:58 pm

The spams are annoying but I hardly check the folder. I believe they use some kind of software to send comments to multiple websites. It is also annoying to receive multiple emails from website.

15. Paul Martin March 23, 2021 / 6:43 am

Hi. I’d like to speak with you about your car’s warranty… πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Sorry you are getting these SPAM comments. ☹️ Since WordPress is an open forum, others can comment on your posts, unless you block them.. Now there might be a feature that allows you to “approve” comments before they post, but you will then be tasked with approving ALL the comments, which can be tedious.. Anyways, I am praying for you guys! I am praying for your husband’s healing.. (Phil 1:3-6)

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 23, 2021 / 10:58 am

Amen, my husband is at the surgical clinic right now.

I do have my WP blog set to approve all comments, which I just explained on another one of your nice comments. πŸ˜€

Now, about my car warranty. I could really use some help with that!

Not. πŸ˜‰