Seconds from Death, part 3: another excerpt from the memoir I’m writing

If you missed the first two parts of this, you should probably read them first, beginning with part one: Seconds from Death, an excerpt from the memoir I’m writing.

Seconds From Death, Part 3

When you’re dying — when you KNOW you’re dying — and you also know that you are not ready to die, extreme terror gives way to a calm clarity of thought. At least, that’s what happened to me. In an instant, I knew what I needed to do. I needed to stop trying to pry Carolina’s strangling hands off my throat and I needed to hit her, as hard as I could hit her, in the middle of her belly.

I remembered a martial arts move that my dad had taught me awhile back. With my vision almost gone, I let go of my assailant’s hands, placed my right arm sideways across my waist, grabbed the outside of my right wrist with my left hand, pulled my left hand in towards me, which caused my right arm to sink into my belly, and then — using every ounce of my strength — I flung my right arm out like a catapult, deep into my attacker’s midsection.

Carolina said “OOMPH!” and grabbed her belly with both of her hands. Now I could finally breathe! As I filled my lungs with air, my vision cleared and I could see Carolina looking at me with an even greater outrage, if that were possible. At any moment she was going to attack me all over again, with an even deeper determination to annihilate me.

I had to act fast. There was no time to think, only time to do.

Copyright 2021 by Linda Lee @LadyQuixote

This is the cover I’ve designed for my book. Growing Up Crazy, A Memoir, is still a work in progress and has not yet been published.

25 thoughts on “Seconds from Death, part 3: another excerpt from the memoir I’m writing

1. Bruce Cooper March 9, 2021 / 6:32 am

The suspense is killing me (no pun intended)! Next part is when? Blessings.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 9, 2021 / 7:55 am

Good morning, Bruce. Or is it afternoon where you are now?

I hope to have the end of this saga written and posted later today. It isn’t my intention to create suspense and leave people hanging. I tried to finish the story last night, as I was writing this bit. But… the last part of this story is very strange. And frankly, I am more than a little nervous about writing it.

2. Dora March 9, 2021 / 7:19 am

It takes a lot of courage to tell such a story, reliving the violent attack and escape. I rejoice that God’s Spirit has taken hold of yours, granting continued healing and joy where once there was horror. And may many be led to renewed hope through your words. ❀️

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 9, 2021 / 7:57 am

Thank you, Dora. I hope to write the end of this and post it later today. I wanted to finish it last night when I wrote this bit, but writing this is not at all easy, even though it happened 52 years ago.

3. atimetoshare.me March 9, 2021 / 8:35 am

Some of those horrid memories cannot be fully remembered. I’m sure God builds some kind of mechanism within us to protect us from the pain we originally felt. On the other hand, getting it on paper and sharing it with others can be cathartic as well. Your story is filled with tension upon tension and I thank God that He protected you through all of it, so we could hear and benefit from your words. You are a true example of faith.

4. mrsmariposa2014 March 9, 2021 / 8:48 am

Oh, wow, Linda! Again I feel like I am right there! Praying as you work out how to write the rest. Trust God and He will give you the words! Blessings!❀

5. Blue Collar Theologian March 9, 2021 / 9:30 am

I am thankful that your dad taught you some martial arts/self-defense moves!!!! I am SO thankful for you!!!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 9, 2021 / 10:28 am

Awww, thank you, Mandy. You are a tremendous blessing to me.

It’s funny, my dad never was very protective of me. Quite the opposite, in fact. And he only ever showed me this one martial arts defensive move. Which turned out to be providential!

• Blue Collar Theologian March 9, 2021 / 11:47 am

That’s incredible! I always said if I had kids I would enroll them in karate or some form of martial arts. I am so glad that even when our earthly fathers fail, abandon, harm us, our Heavenly Father provides us what we need when we need it. Thank you for sharing this!!!!

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 14, 2021 / 6:27 pm

Thank you! I enjoy making graphic designs on my computer, so I have made dozens of book covers. This is my favorite. However, I may add the words ‘a memoir’ under the title, if it won’t make the front cover look too ‘busy’.

How are you and your family doing, Beverley? I pray that you are well. ❀

• Beverley March 22, 2021 / 2:47 pm

We are doing well. I appreciate your concerns and prayers. You are very talented. Do you make book covers professionally for others?

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 22, 2021 / 6:03 pm

No, but I would be happy to make a cover for you for free if you ever need one.

• Beverley March 24, 2021 / 7:05 am

Thank you so much, my friend. I will let you know. You are a very generous sister in Christ. God bless you.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote March 24, 2021 / 7:17 am

I love you and I love the things you write. I also enjoy creating book covers on my computer graphic design program. So it would be a pleasure.