Last night, after the voting stopped

Last night, after the voting stopped, I fed our two dogs and then took them outside into the back yard. While standing under the starry sky, I raised my hands up toward the heavens and prayed.

I prayed for the Lord’s will to be done in this presidential election. Then I praised God for His goodness, His mercy, His grace, His love, and His many blessings. I began naming my blessings, the many things I have to be grateful for. As I thanked God for my dear husband who loves me so very much, with my face raised toward the night sky, I saw a shooting star!

shooting star going across the star field

This crazy year and contentious election has been hard on my PTSD at times. But when I pray, when I praise the Lord Jesus, when I remember the many things I have to be grateful for, and when I think about how awesome and mighty our Creator is, then peace and joy flood my soul, washing away my fears.

During my agnostic/atheist years, I was a MESS. But today, it is well with my soul!

After the 2016 election, a blogger friend from Cameroon, Africa, sent me a phone text in the middle of the night asking who had won the presidency. I replied that Donald Trump had won the most electoral votes.

This time, there’s no telling when we will have a declared winner. But in my heart I know this is true: God is forever on His throne, regardless of who is living in the White House.

Today is a brand new day, the first day of the rest of our lives. And today: It Is Well With My Soul!

23 thoughts on “Last night, after the voting stopped

1. Renee🌻 November 4, 2020 / 11:01 am

What a beautiful post, Linda! How comforting it must have been to see that shooting star in the midst of your praise and thankfulness towards God.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote November 4, 2020 / 11:11 am

It was very comforting! I have seen a few shooting stars in my many years on this planet. But never while praising and thanking God!

2. @preacherbiker November 4, 2020 / 11:32 am

Love you my bestest friend

3. thewheelchairteen November 4, 2020 / 12:35 pm

My family had a very restless night last night waiting for the results. There’s nothing more that can be done – it is in God’s hands now. I’m happy that everything is well with your soul ❤

4. atimetoshare.me November 4, 2020 / 12:41 pm

Great words of hope for all of us today.

5. Dora November 4, 2020 / 2:04 pm

Amen! and Amen! “Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.” (Psalm 115:3)

6. successbmine November 4, 2020 / 8:00 pm

Lovely post and very uplifting. I have never seen a shooting star. Stay well in your soul and in your body Linda.

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote November 4, 2020 / 9:26 pm

Thank you, Diane. I was thinking about you early this morning, hoping you are doing well. I’m loving your coloring book. I am going to post a review on Amazon soon. I would have done it already but I have been feeling a little overwhelmed with everything that’s going on lately. Hmmm, maybe coloring would help with that… 😀

• successbmine November 5, 2020 / 7:52 pm

I am fine thank you. I’m so glad you are enjoying the coloring book. And I appreciate your offer to do a review. I understand about being overwhelmed. I can get that way sometimes and I live alone! There is just so much to pray for, and if I spend the time I feel I need in prayer, then nothing gets done as far as cleaning and such. But as it’s only me here, I suppose it doesn’t matter that much. It will get done sooner or later–probably later. 🙂

7. Lesley November 6, 2020 / 9:16 pm

Beautiful post, Linda – such a sense of peace. I like looking up at the night sky too. It must have been wonderful to see that shooting star just at that particular moment.
    (I’m a bit late as I had a few days offline)

8. Paul Martin November 8, 2020 / 7:02 am

A-M-E-N! 🎯🎯🎯💯💯💯💯🎯🎯🎯🎯‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️🙌🙌🙌

• Linda Lee/Lady Quixote November 8, 2020 / 5:41 pm

I found your comment in my spam folder. So glad I saw it there. If that keeps happening to you when you try to post comments on other sites, let me know and I will tell you the solution I found, when my own comments on other people’s blogs kept going to spam.

Thank you for reading and commenting. It means a lot. God bless!

9. Anna Waldherr November 15, 2020 / 4:51 pm

I agree w/ you completely, Linda. If we are to retain our sense of peace, we must keep our eyes on Him. ❤