Remembering My Aunt B

Aunt+Me-2010

I don’t use real names on my blog, so I will refer to her by just her first initial. My Aunt B.

This picture was taken approximately ten years ago. My aunt is on the left. I am the one on the right, talking with my hands, like a weirdo. 🙂

In the picture, Aunt B is wearing the cross that her father, my grandfather, carved out of Mother of Pearl when he was in the U.S. Army during World War II, fighting in the South Pacific. He carved three identical crosses. He sent one to his wife who was working in a factory, building bomber airplanes for the war effort, a real-life Rosie the Riveter. The other two crosses were for their two young children: my mother and my aunt. I now have one of the crosses. It was given to me by Aunt B, about twenty years ago.

My aunt was a high school English teacher. She was a mother and a grandmother. She was married for a little over 45 years — until his death — to a United Methodist minister. Her late husband was also the President Emeritus of a small college.

My aunt was a young girl when I was born. In my earliest memories of her, she was a beautiful, vivacious teenager, wearing the cashmere sweaters, can-can slips, and poodle skirts that were popular at the time.

She died yesterday. I believe she is now in a far better place, reunited with our awesome Lord Jesus, with her wonderful husband, and with all the precious loved ones who have gone on before.

I miss my beautiful, brilliant Aunt B.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

PS: Now, finally, I am crying. I was in too much shock to cry until now.

60 thoughts on “Remembering My Aunt B

1. oldandblessed August 11, 2020 / 8:04 pm

Sounds like she was a wonderful person. You’ll see her again,under much better circumstances.

2. The Eclectic Contrarian August 11, 2020 / 8:17 pm

Y’all looked like twins!

3. Lisa Beth August 11, 2020 / 8:34 pm

Thank you Linda Lee for sharing the story of your beautiful aunt. May the Lord uplift your heart. 🌹

4. Sue Cass August 11, 2020 / 8:35 pm

Your love for her shines through. Let the tears flow, God’s catching them in His bottle.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee August 11, 2020 / 8:49 pm

Dear Sue, that’s one of my favorite verses in the Bible.
      Psalms 56:8 KJV
      8 Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?

5. mrsmariposa2014 August 11, 2020 / 8:44 pm

What a wonderful sounding lady. Treasure both your memories here and the knowledge of the reunion yet to come. P.S. Fellow weirdo here. I talk with my hands, too. 😉

6. beetreegathering August 11, 2020 / 8:58 pm

Truly sad for your loss! 🙏🏻😭 You favor each other💕 I😭 God will comfort you blessings

7. @preacherbiker August 11, 2020 / 9:23 pm

Our Aunt B was a wonderful person who cared for everyone and was loved by all.
    Aunt B you will be so missed

8. Renee/Heart Tokens August 11, 2020 / 10:36 pm

Linda, sometimes when we can write about it, it’s as if we can finally grieve. It’s a hard thing losing those we love. We miss them so so much!

9. bornagain732 August 11, 2020 / 10:53 pm

😭🙏🏻
    ((((((((((((((❤️)))))))))))))

10. Lydia August 12, 2020 / 5:35 am

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    (((((HUGS)))))

I talk with my hands too. 🙂

11. CynthiaBaileyRug August 12, 2020 / 6:32 am

You two look so much alike! Amazing! Both beautiful ladies! She sounds like a wonderful lady as well. I’m so sorry for your loss! Sending hugs your way!

12. atimetoshare.me August 12, 2020 / 6:54 am

Talking with your hands doesn’t make you a weirdo. My husband talks with his hands too and I can tell exactly what he’s saying without hearing a word. Since I’m getting more and more hard of hearing each day, it really helps. Again, deeply sorry for your loss and I’m grateful tears have come. They will cleanse the pain. Your memory of her will keep her alive in your heart.

13. ibikenyc August 12, 2020 / 8:12 am

(((HUGS)))

❤ ❤ ❤

Your words have painted an exquisite picture of Aunt B 🙂

Yes, you do look like twins.

Fellow hand-talking "weirdo" here; I consider it a sign of creativity 😉

Carving mother-of-pearl must take a great deal of brilliant skill. How wonderful that you now have one of the crosses.

So glad your tears are finally coming ❤

14. Tricia August 12, 2020 / 9:55 am

Lovely tribute Linda to your beautiful Aunt B. Again so sorry for your loss. May she RIP.

15. Wordscroll August 12, 2020 / 10:42 am

You look just like her! I would have thought she was your older sister, wow!
    Beautiful lady, my heart goes out to you!

16. Invisibly Me August 12, 2020 / 3:20 pm

Beautiful ladies & a beautiful tribute to your aunt. She sounds like she was an amazing woman 🌹 xx

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee August 12, 2020 / 3:37 pm

She really was amazing. About 21 years ago, she edited a novel I wrote, making it so much better. She wanted to edit the memoir I’m writing, as well.

17. The Son Of God August 12, 2020 / 3:58 pm

Soon, you’ll unite again in heaven. 🙏 😂 (Isaiah 26:19 – Your dead shall live; their bodies shall rise. You who dwell in the dust, awake and sing for joy! For your dew is a dew of light, and the earth will give birth to the dead.)

18. The Eclectic Contrarian August 12, 2020 / 6:00 pm

For some reason you’re on my mind right now. I don’t know you that well but I know you’ve been through a lot in your time. I’m sorry for your pain, but you have an awesome testimony to help others!

Keep trusting the Lord in all things. He can use your testimony to save lives! You’re proof!

• The Eclectic Contrarian August 12, 2020 / 7:28 pm

I’m trying. This has been on my mind all evening so I just talked to the Lord about it and told you. Hope it encourages you!

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee August 12, 2020 / 7:19 pm

Hey, have you deleted your blog? I know I was following you but now I can’t find it. Sometimes WP unfollows me from blogs, I don’t know why.

• The Eclectic Contrarian August 12, 2020 / 7:27 pm

No ma’am. I haven’t posted in a while and I was getting some strange followers. So I put it on private mode.

• The Eclectic Contrarian August 12, 2020 / 8:02 pm

It gets hard at times. Sometimes I think it’d be so great just to delete and not have to deal with it anymore. But then I guess I’m here for a reason..

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee August 12, 2020 / 9:01 pm

You definitely are here for a reason, my brother.

I first started blogging in 2008 or 2009. I started, and deleted, several blogs. Now when I get that urge to shut everything down and disappear off the internet, I wait a few days, pray about it, and after a bit, I feel better and I’m able to start blogging again.

In my case, I don’t know if it’s a PTSD thing or just a human thing. It’s probably a combo of the two. Social media can be brutal at times. I’ve had a few strange followers in the past. And one hater troll who stalked me all over the internet. Whew.

The good news is that I have had far more wonderful, life enhancing interactions in the blog world, than the other kind. So I am still here. 🙂

• The Eclectic Contrarian August 13, 2020 / 7:25 am

I’ve had a few blogs. I’ve a quite a few poetry blogs. I always end up deleting them..

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee August 15, 2020 / 12:27 am

I’m so sorry! I don’t know how I managed not to see your comment for two, almost 3 days! I just want you to know that I am very thankful for you, thankful that you are here. Please let me know when you start writing blogs again. I’m saying a prayer right now for the Lord to bless you.

• The Eclectic Contrarian August 15, 2020 / 4:03 am

I really appreciate that!! Thank you, Linda!

I’ve been writing more poetry lately. I have a poetry blog. I’m seeing how well it goes.