1544px-AnschalgInZahran1996_KhobarTower

Twenty-four years ago, on June 25, 1996, my brother was in this Khobar Tower building when it was bombed. In fact, he was outside on the balcony, smoking a cigarette, just moments before the bomb went off. He walked inside his room and seconds later, the balcony that he had just been standing on was gone.

My brother was in the U.S. Air Force, there on a peace keeping mission. In the aftermath of the bombing, he helped pull the bodies of his fellow Airmen out of the rubble, young men that he had just finished training.

Every year at this time, my brother is haunted by the memories of what happened on this day. A couple of days ago, he changed his Facebook profile picture to this picture of the blown out building.

Please say a prayer for my brother. He is a newlywed, married less than a month ago to a lovely woman. With the exception of public persons, I don’t use real names on my blog. So when you pray for my brother, use the initials ‘J.R.’ — God knows who he is.

Thank you. ❤❤❤

UPDATED WITH A MESSAGE FROM MY BROTHER

My brother sent me a text this morning, a few minutes after I posted this. He said:

“Honestly though, people shouldn’t be concerned about me on this date. I just pay tribute to those people we lost, especially the 12 that were part of my fighter squadron, the 58th Fighter Squadron, 33rd fighter wing from Eglin AFB, FL. I knew most of them very well and trained several of the younger men. Got them ready to deploy because they were right out of tech school. Signed the paperwork saying they were ready. That really sucks, but I came to terms with it years ago. Thanks for thinking of me though.”

That’s my brother. A hero in my eyes. ❤❤❤

17 thoughts on “My brother was in this building when it was bombed ~ Updated with a message from my brother

1. Wordscroll June 25, 2020 / 9:04 am

Hugs to you and your brother my friend. May the Lord heal his heart and mind, forever remove the the torment and give JR peace!
    ❤❤

2. Lesley June 25, 2020 / 10:58 am

I’m praying for your brother, Linda. What a lovely humble message he sent. x

3. faithfamilyweaving June 25, 2020 / 11:54 am

Praying for him, too!🙏❤️

4. @preacherbiker June 25, 2020 / 11:55 am

Your brother is strong in the Lord.
    Prayers for him and all of his brothers

5. Sue Cass June 25, 2020 / 1:27 pm

Please thank you brother for me for the sacrifices he has made for our freedom. I pray the Lord heals his heart, mind, body, and soul whether he thinks he needs it or not. Blessings to him and his new wife and to you and your family.

6. Invisibly Me June 25, 2020 / 1:47 pm

What an incredible perspective to take, your brother really has a kind, caring heart. I also think it’s lovely of you to be thinking of him and to post this. What an awful loss of life, so tragically sad. I’m glad your brother is okay, and hopefully the effects of the trauma don’t impact his ability to have a happy, healthy life, because that trauma was more than enough for his lifetime. Thinking of him, his family, and you. Stay safe lovely xx

7. Omatra7 June 25, 2020 / 8:08 pm

Wow! What a story… I am very sorry he had to go through that, I remember that day… that was horrible

Please thank him for his service! My respect ✌️

8. Anonymous July 10, 2020 / 4:23 pm

I shall remember him in prayer. May God intervene and do great wonderful things.

9. LaRonda Bourn August 5, 2020 / 11:55 pm

I’m so happy God chose to save your brother. I suspect June 25th is a day of remembrance for you, too. How disappointing it is to have all that potential snuffed out. I am in awe of our service members who are willing to sign a blank check to their country, especially when their service has them protecting lives in another country. These are a whole different breed of people, and my respect and gratitude is genuine! You’ve got a fine brother, Sweetie. 👍🏻