Anxiety, PTSD, and the Novel COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

2012June12-Supercell-Melrose-NM-753pm

I took the above picture back on June 12, 2012, while standing in the back yard of the house we lived in at the time, looking across the street toward a church. The dark cloud you see hanging over our yard and the church was a supercell storm cloud. It was more than a block wide, slowly rotating, with lightning flashing back and forth inside the cloud.

Moments after I took that picture, the supercell opened up and pounded our town with torrents of rain and hail the size of a large man’s fists. Our roof was destroyed. The roof on the church was destroyed. Indeed, every roof in town was destroyed by the pounding hail stones, which fell for nearly half an hour.

I thought the world was ending, but it didn’t end. Going on eight years later, we are still here.

And now, once again, with the COVID-19 novel coronavirus pandemic, it feels like the world is ending. But I don’t believe that it is. The world has seen worse things and survived.

Early this morning, I walked outside in the backyard with our two dogs and I noticed that the birds were singing and the neighbor’s wind chimes were chiming, while our tall White Mountain Pine tree was dancing in the breeze. Where we live now, instead of a church, we have a view of a small mountain. As I gazed at the mountain, I thought: “The world is not ending. The trees, the clouds, the blue sky, the sunshine, and our mesa mountain, are all still here.”

My husband and I both have PTSD. This time of isolation and terrifying news reports are doing a number on our nerves. We aren’t worried so much for our elderly selves, as we are for our 5 children, our 8 grandchildren, and our 5-going-on-6 great-grandchildren, who are scattered all across the country, from Washington state, to California, Arizona, here in New Mexico, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York. Dear Lord, please protect our children and grandchildren!

Sometimes when I read yet another alarming news story, I feel panic trying to take over my mind and my body. I feel weak, totally out of energy, and bowled over by the stress and uncertainty if it all. But — when I focus my attention on the goodness of God and the evidence of His incredible creation all around us, I am at peace.

Our church has gone to having services on YouTube and keeping in touch by group texts. Our pastors have asked us to pray through Psalms 91 every day. Here it is, in the King James version. (I like several different versions of the Bible. But out of respect for my followers who only read the KJV, I am using that version here).

Psalm 91
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
8 Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked.
9 Because thou hast made the Lord, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
10 There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
11 For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
12 They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet.
14 Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
15 He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
16 With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Without my Christian faith, I know I would be stressing way more than I am right now. I was agnostic, almost an atheist, for many years. I thought that with my Mensa IQ, I was “too intelligent” to believe in God and other “fairy tales.” But an all-out search for Truth a number of years ago, ultimately led me to believe in Christ, because the preponderance of the evidence compelled me to believe. After I turned my life over to the Lordship of Jesus the Messiah, everything in my life changed — including my ability to live with my complex, and almost lifelong, PTSD!

If you are sitting on the fence like I was for so long about the existence of God, now would be a good time to do some research into the ultimate question. Here is a link to an incredible website that is rich with the kind of scientific and historical facts that turned my thinking around:

Thank you for stopping by. Take care of yourself, and try not to beat yourself up for having some perfectly normal feelings of anxiety and unrest during this trying time. Here’s a safe social distancing grandma ((HUG)) for my readers. I love you beautiful people. I really do. ❀❀❀

The picture below is one that I took of our mountain view from our back porch back in December. I don’t remember ever seeing a sunrise like this one!

IMG_20191208_064153_2

34 thoughts on “Anxiety, PTSD, and the Novel COVID-19 Coronavirus Pandemic

1. atimetoshare.me March 21, 2020 / 12:02 pm

Those photos are amazing. Not only is the power of God evident, but the glory of his creation. It’s how we see things that make a difference. Stay strong and healthy πŸ˜€

2. ibikenyc March 21, 2020 / 12:39 pm

Oh, that sunrise! I am speechless. So glad you got it and shared it! πŸ˜€

Thank you for some positivity amidst all the bad / scary news.

That cloud reminds me of “Close Encounters.”

I am praying for you and yours and hope you all have everything you need. ❀

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 21, 2020 / 2:07 pm

Awww, thank you for your prayers. I just said a prayer for you and your loved ones.

Yes, that cloud reminded me exactly of the mothership UFO on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. My husband and I were sitting down to dinner when I noticed that the sunlight coming through the blinds had a very weird glow, like the sky was on fire. I jumped up and went outside and saw that. Only it was so much bigger and so much scarier than the picture shows! I ran in to get my camera and told my husband about the massive storm cloud. He came outside with me and I was snapping pictures when the sky opened up and tried to kill us!

A well-known storm chaser was only about a half mile from our house when the supercell burst open. He posted a video on YouTube of that storm. I will see if I can find it and post the link. Be right back…

• ibikenyc March 21, 2020 / 2:52 pm

You are most welcome, my dear, and thank you very much for yours πŸ™‚

WOW! I know that feeling when the sky takes on a weird color. Good thing you were right outside your house!

The biggest hail I’ve seen in person was maybe gumball-sized, although many moons ago my parents were driving somewhere in the Desert Southwest and had to pull over because of a golf ball-sized downpour, one of which dented the hood of their car.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 21, 2020 / 2:12 pm

Here it is, a Reed Timmer video. They were just a few blocks down from where we lived when the hail destroyed their windshield. The young woman driving the vehicle, though… I have to turn the sound down to watch this, because of the way she carries on!

• ibikenyc March 21, 2020 / 2:46 pm

Ho. Lee. COW!

All RIGHTIE, then!

Speechless, again (although I do have the “Safelite repair; Safelite replace” jingle going through my head right now!).

Thanks for the link. I just can’t imagine! I woulda been the one in the “trunk” area, face down in a fetal position.

On a different note, I would have to drive at least a whole day to be in a place as empty AND flat as that! Cool!

3. Ann H Aschauer March 21, 2020 / 1:33 pm

I love Psalm 91. As you may have read on my blog, I put it to music, trying to imagine how David would have sung it. I used to sing it to my children, especially when they were afraid at night.
    May God give you His peace as you focus in on His loving protection.

4. successbmine March 21, 2020 / 10:34 pm

I have heard others say they think this is the end coming, but when you look around and then read the scriptures you have to realize there is so much prophecy that hasn’t been fulfilled yet. I don’t believe it will be all that long before the Lord will return, but I can’t see that it is just now.

Those are fantastic photos. I have never seen a supercell storm, but that’s one thing I’m not sorry to have missed. πŸ™‚ I have seen a tornado come through where I live and it lifted bits of the roof off of the apartment building where I live, but other than a lot of trees and power lines being down, I didn’t see too much damage on my street.

I do Psalm 91 every morning along with a couple of others. It’s a very comforting and faith-building passage. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject that is usually carrying negative comments with it. We do need to keep a positive attitude even if we are a little scared at times. God is in control and He has the final say. Satan has already lost the battle! Praise the Lord.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 21, 2020 / 11:01 pm

I always enjoy your comments so much. Thank you!

I’m old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, when so many Christians, including my preacher father, believed the world was ending. I agree with you, I don’t think that time is now.

I grew up in a town in Missouri that was largely destroyed by a tornado years before I was born. There were many tornado warned storms during my childhood, and I saw several twisters, but little or no damage ever occurred in those storms. I, too, had never seen a supercell before the day I took that picture. I’ve seen several supercells since then, and somewhere I have a bunch of pictures I took of a mesocyclone as it swirled all around us. Eastern New Mexico, where the high plains and the high desert meet, gets some crazy weather!

We even had a blizzard here a few years ago that blew for almost two straight days with over hurricane force winds. It blew an entire freight train off the tracks about five miles from our house, blew some huge grain silos down just a quarter mile from our house, killed over 30,000 cattle in our county, and left 10′ high snow drifts all around us. And yes, I have pictures of that, too.

But, we’re still here!

• successbmine March 22, 2020 / 10:58 am

I’m so glad you enjoy my comments Linda. I always try to add to a conversation rather than just give a one-or-two word reply. Wow! That was some blizzard.

I just remembered something from my childhood that I think had many people thinking that the world was coming to an end. They called it Black Sunday and it was caused by huge forest fires somewhere far away from where I lived but still brought the darkness of night on us in the middle of the afternoon. I think I’m a bit older than you, so you probably wouldn’t remember that. I believe it affected a huge area. That was 1950 and I remember it clearly as I was supposed to go to Sunday School (we had it in the afternoon in that church) but I couldn’t go out.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 23, 2020 / 8:20 pm

I don’t know how I missed seeing this comment. No, I am not quite old enough to remember that Black Sunday. My very first memory in life happened in 1954. I was awakened in my crib by everything shaking, rattling, booming, banging, and falling all around me. We lived in California where I was born, and my first memory is of an earthquake!

• successbmine March 23, 2020 / 9:50 pm

Wow, that must have been scary Linda. I have experienced a very minor earthquake here, but we are not in an area prone to them. California is a different story.

5. @ Preacherbiker March 21, 2020 / 11:11 pm

You are my everything.
    You give me your love.
    And you love everyone

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 21, 2020 / 11:15 pm

Awwww. Thank you. I’m not all that, though. You know what they say, dear husband. Love is blind!

6. mrsmariposa2014 March 22, 2020 / 8:26 am

What a gorgeous picture. Thank you for sharing this and giving encouragement to us grappling with our anxiety. ❀

7. Silvia Lia Leigh, MD April 4, 2020 / 1:58 pm

Thank you for sharing your heart with me. I was born in Romania. I was an atheist until I came to Nigeria in 1980 (my husband is a Nigerian). We are both medical doctors. We worked as doctors for 20 years here in Nigeria. We made money and fame. But there was something missing that money could not buy and people could not give me. I never attended a church. The first time I prayed was on the 14th of March 1986. I called God down, if He exists. He came! This is a miracle conversion. I became Spirit filled in my sitting room. My life was never the same again. My husband got converted too some years later. We are now retired from the medical practice. We started a church called Father’s House Bible Church. Our former patients and others make the congregation. In the past, we prescribed medicines and gave injections. We now ‘prescribe’ the Word of God and prayer! It works so much better! May my testimony encourage you this evening. May your faith increase to trust God for a deep permanent healing from your depression! God needs you to serve Him! God bless you, sister…

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee April 4, 2020 / 3:32 pm

Thank you for this beautiful testimony! I needed this encouragement just now. Today we learned that my granddaughter and her husband are sick. They live in New York. But our Lord Jesus is still on the throne!

8. Tazzie April 4, 2020 / 4:23 pm

A beautiful post and photograph, Mother Earth is amazing, blessings to You and your family Linda.