Trying not to freak out over the coronavirus :-)

The news these days is full of stories about the coronavirus, COVID-19. I believe we need to take this seriously and protect ourselves as best we can. I also believe that it’s good to laugh at the insanity. Laughter is great medicine, after all!

Here’s an LOL for you: my husband is in his early 70s and I’m in my late 60s. I saw on MSN news about the CDC saying that because this virus is hitting people over 60 the hardest, those of us who fall into this age group should avoid going out into crowds. Stay home, don’t go shopping in crowded stores, avoid crowded restaurants, temporarily give up club meetings, and be reverent at home this weekend, instead of going to church. Here’s my lol reaction: if the coronavirus is mostly killing people over 60, well that’s one way to keep social security from running out of money! 😉

Seriously, I don’t want a virus killing anybody of any age. But if it has to target just one age group, I would far rather it be us older folks, and not our precious children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren! Dear Lord, please protect the children!

Anyway, it’s good that I’m a germaphobe and already had hand sanitizer. Because I really would like to finish writing my memoir first! 😀

As a Christian, I find many verses in the Bible comforting during troubling times. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. ~Psalm 23:4 (KJV)

Even to your old age I am He, and even to hair white with age will I carry you. I have made, and I will bear; yes, I will carry and will save you. ~Isaiah 46:4 (AMPC)

Speaking of hair white with age, that’s me in the picture with our rescued fur babies. My husband took that picture a couple of months ago. Then he sent it to me in a text, along with the picture right below it. Do you think he was trying to tell me something? It’s a good thing I know he loves me! 😀

IMG_20191207_124630_01__01__01

IMG_20191207_124936_01__01

PS: My husband had surgery last week in a veteran’s hospital. Two days ago, he went back to have the stitches removed. While he was there, he was told that all of the VA hospitals all over the country are only doing emergency surgeries now, because they get their surgical scrubs from China and they can’t get any right now.

The crisis is real, not political, as some seem to believe. But I know that God’s got us, regardless. And even if the preliminary statistics are correct in saying that the death rate from coronavirus is over 20 times the mortality rate of an ordinary flu virus: this still means that almost 97% of the people who come down with coronavirus are NOT going to die. So try not to worry, okay? ((HUGS))

UPDATE: On 10 APRIL 2020, both my granddaughter and her husband tested positive for covid-19. Please say a prayer for them. Thank you.

47 thoughts on “Trying not to freak out over the coronavirus :-)

1. ibikenyc March 7, 2020 / 10:16 am

“Wisdom highlights;” LOLOL! Gotta remember that one!

I, too, have a dark sense of humor and love your comment about Social Security 🙂

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 7, 2020 / 10:52 am

I’m hoping I don’t scare people off with my lol. I wouldn’t even think of making such a joke if I didn’t fall into this age group.

• ibikenyc March 7, 2020 / 11:00 am

Didn’t / don’t scare me, but I do hear ya about the “timing.”

2. Lesley March 7, 2020 / 10:23 am

Linda, that hair colour is so fashionable just now … it’s gorgeous!

• Lesley March 8, 2020 / 1:12 am

Me too. I was born a natural redhead and hated it and spent almost a lifetime dying my hair. Now that I’m older, it’s got lighter and lighter and no longer need to dye it. 😁

• Lesley March 8, 2020 / 9:31 am

It’s a sort of strawberry blonde, Linda. My mum was a redhead too and her hair went white. It probably won’t be too long before mine goes white as well – like you, I’m in my sixties. 😁

3. Tricia March 7, 2020 / 10:53 am

We are thinking the same thoughts on Corona! Love the picture of you and your pups.

4. seekingdivineperspective March 7, 2020 / 4:41 pm

Thanks for the encouraging stats, Linda.

As a Christian I have two thoughts about this:

1. Every day I follow Romans 12:1 and offer my body to God as a living sacrifice. So, this body is His, and whatever happens to it has been through the filter of His will.
    2. I belong to Jesus, and it’s my belief that I will not leave this world one moment before (or after) He wants to call me home.
    (OK, three thoughts… 3. When I AM called home it will be an improvement. So it’s all good.)

PS For the record, I’m not being careless about germs, just not flying into a panic over them.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 7, 2020 / 9:59 pm

I love it! You have summed up my feelings very well. My life is His and the next life is going to be awesome beyond anything we can imagine.

I’ve had two near-death experiences, when my soul separated from my body. The first time I was 15, the second time I was 39. It was… Wow. Just wow.

5. hatrack4 March 7, 2020 / 5:11 pm

I don’t know if you read The Wee Flea, but David Robertson compared coronavirus deaths with car accident deaths, TB deaths, etc. The things that he mentioned were diseases that in most of the world have been “cured” and other things that do not get in the news. It put things into perspective. Wash your hands. Avoid large crowds when necessary. Wash your hands again. You’ll be OK.

• successbmine March 10, 2020 / 9:35 pm

I read an article about coconut oil possibly overcoming this virus. Evidently when SARS was around, almost no one in the Philippines got it because of the amount of coconut oil they use. I have been using it for a number of years, but think I might just use a little more than usual, just in case. And it’s good to put on your hands after washing them. Makes them nice and soft. Make sure it’s pure unrefined oil.

6. bornagain732 March 8, 2020 / 5:14 am

I love that picture/text your husband sent ❤️

I have grey hair on the top front of my hair-when I clip the back of my hair up off my neck it looks like I color my hair because the part I pull up is reddish! I’m am very excited to have all grey hair-er I mean wisdom hairs!

Proverbs 16:31
    31 The *hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

* Definition of hoary. 1 : gray or white with or as if with age bowed his hoary head. 2 : extremely old : ancient hoary legends.

Great post, Linda! ❤️

7. Beverley March 8, 2020 / 9:27 am

Thank you for these informative and encouraging words.
    One has to wonder why this virus targets the older folks. I am sure there is a lot of theories out there, but I love yours about social security.🙂
    Although the news stated that you cannot get the virus from your pets I am wondering if they can easily contract the virus from outside and bring it inside to the owner? What is your thoughts on this?

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 8, 2020 / 9:52 am

I have been wondering about our pets, too, if they could catch this. My understanding is that the coronavirus came from some type of animal, in a market in China, and the virus spread from the animals to humans.

Luckily, our dogs don’t leave our property, so they aren’t being exposed to anything out in the community.

My husband and I are sick today, however I think we just have a cold. We don’t have a fever, which is typically the first sign of coronavirus. But we are staying home from church, because we don’t want to share it with anybody.

• Beverley March 9, 2020 / 8:49 am

That is a good idea. They are advising that if we have any cold whatsoever to just stay home. I believe they are expecting to have this virus run its course.

8. Anna Waldherr March 8, 2020 / 11:49 am

I had not heard that about the surgical gowns. I, also, like Psalm 91. “You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness,
    Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you.” ❤

9. tidalscribe March 8, 2020 / 6:41 pm

Everyone has to die of something and while we’re panicking about one thing people are dying from all sorts of other causes natural and man made.

10. ourlittleredhouseblog March 8, 2020 / 6:56 pm

I have some anxiety about this virus too, just trying to stay positive. Our city was the first place in this country to get the virus. It has been here since January. No one I know has it, that I know of. The stores are showing some shortages but not all of them. There are pockets of panic and pockets of what can we do anyway. people..it’s here.
    My husband had a tooth repair last week and when he asked our dentist if he was worried he said “No, I just leave it in God’s hands” he is a really kind dentist.
    My cousin’s husband works for the fire department as a paramedic and one of the stations in his area got called to a house in Scottsdale. The man later tested positive for the virus. They asked where he had been in the last few days and he said a bar and a taco stand afterwards during one day. The whole fire station had to be in quarantine after that.
    Then another woman here in our county also came down with it and she says she has no idea where she got it, She works in health care here in our city. So it is now officially in our city and spreading from person to person.
    I will do a post on it later, but not to scare people, to just give out some info. on what is actually happening here. One store may have shortages but another store is full of food and supplies like toilet paper and bleach. Just seems to be small pockets of panic in our city. Stay safe, and you know already, that God is always by our sides. We are not alone in this.

11. thelevinelowdown March 9, 2020 / 4:19 am

Thank you for this great post, I thoroughly valued reading it. I have been very disappointed with the media’s coverage of the Coronavirus outbreak so I have recently published an article on my blog about what we should be worried about and how we can protect ourselves and others. If you have time, it would be great if you could check out my post and let me know your thoughts! Thanks 🙂

12. sweetgumlife March 10, 2020 / 3:44 pm

I’m not in the scary age for the Corona virus, but I am in tornado alley. A week or so ago, a horrible tornado tornado took the lives of several ppl in the Tennessee area. We’re in North Alabama. I can’t even explain how terrifying it is to think that those people lost their lives just after midnight. But you’re so right. God has got this. Those of us who are in Him have something better to look forward to, although I’m not ready to go yet. At least God gives us comfort even in the worst storm–be that a virus or a tornado.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 10, 2020 / 10:38 pm

Oh… I am with you, I really don’t like tornadoes. I grew up in a Missouri town that had been largely destroyed by a tornado long before I was born, but the old timers certainly hadn’t forgotten about it. We had many tornado warned storms as I was growing up, and I have seen several tornadoes in the sky.

A few years ago, here in New Mexico, the tornado warning sounded. As I was trying to figure out what to do and where to go, I suddenly had the very weird sensation that I was walking with no gravity! I looked out and the sky was solid black in every direction, at ten in the morning. I hit my knees and began to pray as hail destroyed the roof of our house and my car. Wow that was something! I believe the feeling of having no gravity meant that the tornado was directly overhead, which caused the barometric pressure to plummet. And yet, I am still here!

My heart breaks every time I see in the news where tornadoes have destroyed and killed. It’s only human to be afraid at times like that! But the day will come when each one of us will be face to face with our Maker. The important thing is to be living for Him, before that day comes!

13. Nancy Ruegg March 12, 2020 / 1:44 pm

Thank you for the common sense and levity, Linda Lee. One of my go-to verses in times of distress is Psalm 50:15. It’s short (easy to remember) and to the point: “Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor Me.” Delivery may come in any number of ways, but no matter what happens, I can count on Him. He will see me through!

14. FuzzYdicE March 14, 2020 / 2:57 pm

Scary times, but plenty of opportunities within! I’ve recently wrote about them.

May these opportunities help you in struggling well.

Thanks for sharing!

15. marianbeaman March 25, 2020 / 3:46 pm

Sending hugs to you, my Lady! I loved the photo your husband took of you and your pets, which you now know is my theme this week.

The LORD is the strength of my life and His Word my truth, now more than ever. I also rely on music to lift my spirits. Here’s one I listen to often: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2RUdcku_w&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR10Ei6o-JodzOvcQscBFqZNO69AhEcleb374-7_FQ6378GppPFhbw2euFQ

Thanks for this uplifting post, beautiful lady!

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 25, 2020 / 11:41 pm

I love it! “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.” Amen!

When I read your post about pet sitting this morning, I wanted to write a comment about the time I had to drive 120 miles round trip every day for almost a week to take care of my stepdaughter’s four hyperactive Chihuahuas, while she was out of state visiting her brother. The reason I didn’t get that comment written is because today has been crazy. My head aches right now, from all the hours I spent on the phone. And I never was a person who likes talking on the phone.

Anyway. Whew. I need to go to bed. Thank you for your sweet comment, Marian. ❤❤❤