2020? Seriously?

new-years-eve

Last night, while my husband and I were staying up nervously waiting for midnight, concerned that a neighbor might set off fireworks or worse, shoot a gun, either of which would make our dogs go ballistic, I said to my husband: “I can’t believe it’s going to be 2020 in a couple of hours, can you? It just doesn’t seem possible. 2020 doesn’t sound right to me. It sounds weird, don’t ya think?”

My beloved shrugged. “No, it doesn’t seem weird to me. It’s just another year.” Then he went back to scrolling on his Facebook newsfeed, liking all the clever and poignant New Year’s pictures, comments, and posts by his hundreds of biker and veteran friends.

Okay, so maybe I’m the weird one, and living in the year 2020 is perfectly ordinary. But … Seriously?! It still doesn’t seem right to me that years don’t begin with the number 19! 20/20 is the name of a television news show that I used to watch, back in the last century. 20/20 is what my eyesight used to be. 20/20 is what you’re supposed to have in hindsight, but only if you’ve got insight.

And anyway, aren’t we all supposed to be flying around with our own personal jets strapped on our backs, and pushing buttons to have a crew of robots wash the dishes, cook dinner, do the laundry, make the beds, scrub the toilets, and vacuum the floor? I mean, HELLO, it is…..

*****2020*****

I have many fond memories of hanging out with four of my great-grandparents, and they were all born in the 1870s and 1880s. Hmm… I wonder if the 1900s seemed as weird to them, as the 2000s still seem to me?

Happy (Weird) New Year!

Capture12

PS. There were no fireworks, no gunshots, no loud shouts of “HAPPY NEW YEAR” — there was nothing but silence in our little corner of New Mexico when midnight and 2020 arrived last night. Which was also weird. It was good. But weird. 😁

God bless and thank you for reading.

Copyright Β© 2020 by Lady Quixote Linda Lee

65 thoughts on “2020? Seriously?

1. Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 8:35 am

Thank you, Ryan. I loved your last post of 2019 so much, I saved it to my tablet so I can read it again. 😊

• bornagain732 January 1, 2020 / 3:19 pm

Right! When I was in high school in the 80’s I never fathomed the thought of the year 2020 to be real… that was only on cartoons… George Jetson!

2. Sarah's Attic of Treasures January 1, 2020 / 8:35 am

Great post. I am 61 years old and 2020 sounds strange to me as well. 2020 meant the future. Where did the time go?
    Happy New Year! Best wishes for a prosperous 2020.

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 8:40 am

I’m 66, going on 35… or 12, on my immature days. Last July, when I was running down a hill with my six-year-old great-grandson, I coulda sworn I was 6!

3. Sarah's Attic of Treasures January 1, 2020 / 8:39 am

Reblogged this on Sarah's Attic Of Treasures and commented:
    I agree that 2020 still sounds like it should be in the future. Way in the future. I am 61 and I remember 2 sets of great Grandparent’s. I remember visiting their farmhouse in Wisconsin. I remember the OUTHOUSE. Cooking on a wood stove. No central heat. Or AC.
    Here’s to 2020. Happy New Year.

4. seekingdivineperspective January 1, 2020 / 8:44 am

Well. we DO have Alexa, and it’s pretty amazing to me that I can ask “her” to tell me what the weather’s going to be like today, play an obscure song from the 60’s that I suddenly remember, or give me the answer to a question that used to take an hour and a half in the library to get.
    GPS’s are pretty awesome, too. How did we ever get along without them? I have vague memories of wandering around, asking directions from people who obviously didn’t know any more than I did but felt compelled to fake it and adlib.

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 8:57 am

Lol about asking directions from people who would fake it and ad lib! Especially the gas station attendants, oh man!

Alexa is kinda creepy to me, so I disabled her as soon as I got my Fire tablet. But I LOVE the internet, Google, Amazon, Wikipedia, Bing, Twitter, email, and of course, WordPress. How did we ever live without the internet? I don’t do Facebook, however. Relatives, all getting up in my business? Strangers, telling me how to believe? Yeah, no.

And when my hubby starts arguing with the GPS lady, I make him turn her off. If he’s going to argue with a female, it had better be me! πŸ˜‚

• seekingdivineperspective January 1, 2020 / 9:54 am

LOL! I haven’t turned off Alexa yet, but I have snapped back at her a few times. When I say, “Alexa, you’re fired!” she’ll whine “Awww, MANNNnnn!” or something else. Responses vary.
        I too find myself arguing with technology – “Just what part of ‘click’ do you not understand?” I’ve learned that it doesn’t respond to sarcasm.

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 1:47 pm

Oh, my goodness! It never occurred to me that They would fuss about something like that! LOLOLOLOL! X-D

5. seekingdivineperspective January 1, 2020 / 8:45 am

“2020 is what my eyesight used to be. 2020 is what you’re supposed to have in hindsight, but only if you’ve got insight.” Wow, that’s profound. If that is an original, may I have your permission to quote you?

6. atimetoshare.me January 1, 2020 / 8:47 am

Perfect vision – 2020 – keep your eye on the prize. Happy weird New Year to you and yours.

7. Sue Cass January 1, 2020 / 9:00 am

Ya’ll (that’s southern for you all) are still babies. I’m 75 and remember fishing water out of a deep well with a wooden bucket on a rope and now we have self-driving cars and people walking around on the moon. How did the years go by so fast?

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 9:22 am

Hi, Sue! Thanks for calling me a baby… I think! πŸ˜‰

I didn’t have to draw water out of a well, but I did live in a house that had a well pump in the kitchen for awhile. You had to prime it with some water first, to get anything out of it.

My in-laws had no indoor bathroom until the year my first child was born. I had friends that still used a crank handled wooden wall phone when I was in junior high school. And, we used to be on a telephone party line, you had to listen for a certain type of ring to know the call was yours. You dialed O for Operator in an emergency back then, not 911. But that was only after you finally convinced the two women who were chatting on the party line that they needed to hang up so you could call for help, because the woods were on fire, the fire was right behind your house, your mother was in deadly danger out there aiming a pitiful garden hose at the conflagration, and yes you were telling the truth and you did know what you were talking about, even if you were only a five year old girl!!!

Whew, excuse me, I flashed back a little bit! Yeah, those were the days!

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 9:55 am

Gee. . . why does that party-line thing remind me of Alfred Hitchcock???

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 1:43 pm

Alfred Hitchcock Presents; Season 5, Episode 33

• Sue Cass January 1, 2020 / 10:29 am

Sorry, I meant age wise not emotional age. lol Oh I remember those party lines, etc. Sometimes its actually kind of fun to go back in time but on the other hand it really makes me feel OLD. πŸ™‚

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 10:40 am

What really makes me feel old is hearing my kids complain that they’re getting old. My oldest kids are in their late 40s, my youngest will turn 39 next week, and they think they are old!

I can’t wait to hear what my granddaughter will say when she turns 30 in two years. Yes, I remember turning 30, I thought I was too old to live! Ha! Oh to be 30, or 39, or 49 again. Or in my 50s! I loved being 50.

• Sue Cass January 1, 2020 / 10:49 am

Wait until the youngest sibling has turned 72. Then you REALLY feel old. Oh hush Cass, I can’t think about that! I want it to be a good day. lol

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 12:30 pm

My youngest sibling is the same age as my oldest child, born in the same year, just a few months apart. I was an only child for seven years, then ended up being the oldest of seven. That’s not even counting my stepbrothers and stepsisters, I’m the oldest of thirteen when they are included. So my youngest siblings will always be babies to me!

8. ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 10:07 am

“Meet George Jetson
    His Boy Elroy
    Daughter Judy
    Jane, his wife.”

πŸ™‚

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 10:33 am

Actually, having the Jetsons’ song stuck in my head might help me ignore the @#$%&?! tinnitus. πŸ˜‚

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 1:39 pm

Blessing, or curse.. . blessing, or curse. . . blessing, or curse. . ?

Uh. . . you’re welcome?

LOL! πŸ˜€

9. ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 10:12 am

Yeah; I remember when “The Year Two Thousand” was regarded as The Future when we’d all be driving flying cars and so on, a la The Jetsons.

10. ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 10:14 am

I may be repeating myself here, but Happy New Year to you and yours, Lady Quixote! πŸ™‚ ❀

• Lady Quixote January 1, 2020 / 10:20 am

Aww, thank you. Happy New Year to you, my NYC biking friend. πŸ’˜πŸ’˜πŸ˜Š

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 1:40 pm

And thank you, too! πŸ™‚ ❀

11. bornagain732 January 1, 2020 / 3:17 pm

Reblogged this on I ONCE WAS LOST and commented:
    Right! I keep saying when I was in high school in the 80’s that 2020 never seemed real to me… that was only on cartoons like George Jetson!!!

12. successbmine January 1, 2020 / 4:01 pm

I’m 74, and 2020 sounds weird to me, too. I agree, it should still be 19 something. I don’t even know what or who Alexa is! I don’t have a cell phone, a tablet or a GPS. But I sure do like my computer. When it’s working, that is. πŸ™‚ I have no idea where the last few years went to. It’s like I went to bed on Dec. 31 2018 and woke up on Jan. 1 2020. But, like 20/20 vision, I hope the year 2020 will be good to all of us and that we will see clearly where we are going with or without a GPS. Personally I like maps. πŸ™‚ Happy New Year everyone!

• Lady Quixote Linda Lee January 1, 2020 / 4:55 pm

I love it! I did not want a cell phone at all. For years, I was the only person I knew without one. Then I finally got a flip phone, and held onto that until it wouldn’t work with our cell tower any more.

It’s like we’re in an alternate universe, sometimes. πŸ˜‰

• successbmine January 1, 2020 / 5:24 pm

A friend wanted me to text something to her daughter using her phone. I couldn’t even do that! I messed it up and finally gave up. I get tired of seeing people more connected to their cell phones than they are with people. It’s as if they become another appendage to their arms and hands. Actually it annoys me when people are constantly checking their phones. It can become rather rude at times especially if you are trying to have a coherent conoversation.

• Lady Quixote Linda Lee January 1, 2020 / 9:03 pm

I agree! A young man whom my stepdaughter works with accepted her invitation to go to church and then out to lunch with us. It was his first time meeting my husband and me, and his first time at our church. He constantly checked, not one, but two phones, throughout the entire service, and throughout the lunch. That’s right, he had two phones! None of us even knew what to say. My goodness, it’s scary to think about him driving!

• Sue Cass January 1, 2020 / 9:11 pm

I have an 11 year old visiting and he is so addicted to that cell phone that he has to have it ON him or NEAR him at all times. Its unbelievable!

• ibikenyc January 1, 2020 / 10:54 pm

I don’t mean that I actually like this, of course.

I’ll spare you my soapbox about it πŸ™„

13. Nyssa The Hobbit January 2, 2020 / 1:40 am

Well, we *DO* have Roombas….And apparently you can smarten up your house, though I don’t trust the technology yet. πŸ˜‰

• ibikenyc January 2, 2020 / 8:20 am

I was actually thinking about those yesterday.

I appreciate the spirit of the thing, and I LOVE the commercials with the cat riding on one, but they have no crevice tool! AIEEEE!

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee January 2, 2020 / 8:43 am

No crevice tool? I agree, AIEEEE!

About ten or eleven years ago, I bought a Roomba vacuum. This was in the early days and they didn’t have the bugs worked out of it yet. Either that, or I got a defective unit. It would run across the floor, then hump the leg of a chair forever. Which really freaked out our dog. So I sent it back. And I have been vacuuming the old-fashioned, labor intensive way, ever since.

Well, it’s good exercise. That’s what I tell myself…

• Nyssa The Hobbit January 2, 2020 / 1:12 pm

If we got one, it would probably eat the cat toys that are all over the place.

• ibikenyc January 3, 2020 / 10:21 am

“. . . hump the leg of a chair forever. Which really freaked out our dog.” LOLOLOLOL! My stomach hurt from laughing about this, and it got funnier the more I thought about it. Laughing yet again right now! WHEW!

Glad I’m not the only one who actually uses the crevice tool. I’d been feeling like it was just my perfectionism.

Yes: Exercise!

I don’t actually mind the vacuuming itself. What I hate is draggin’ the thing out of (and back into) the closet and then having to deal with the cord. My lottery home will have a central vac or at least a nice big utility / laundry room with an outlet in it so I can just grab and go.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee January 3, 2020 / 11:48 am

Now you’ve got me laughing.

Yes, it was pretty funny. The dog we had then, a Red Heeler Australian Cattle Dog, was a rescue and very skittish. She had just started to relax a bit and feel at home, when I bought the Roomba. A robotic humper was simply too much for the old girl, so the Roomba had to go! πŸ˜€

14. marianbeaman January 12, 2020 / 1:14 pm

I LOVE this post, which I’m now reading near the end of the second week in January.

Though our eyesight is no longer 20/20 but our hindsight IS, Psalm 65:11 is still true, and will always be so! God less you richly this year.