A Poem for the Broken and Lonely

The look that says
They don’t feel worthy
Life is scary
Lonely and hard
And they have no one
Who really cares

I try to catch their eye
And give them a smile
A word of encouragement
To simply acknowledge
Their existence
And let them know
They matter
They are important
And I care.

“Hello! How are you?
My name is Linda
What’s your name?
God bless you, I hope you
Have a good day!”

Why do I do this
With random strangers
On the street
In a store
Sitting alone
In the back of the church
Why?

To turn someone’s life
Completely around.

Linda Lee Adams @LadyQuixote
10 November 2019

21 thoughts on “A Poem for the Broken and Lonely

1. Renee/Heart Tokens November 10, 2019 / 9:14 pm

Linda there needs to be more people like you! You are a good soul! It means the world to know that someone cares. The world can be brutal. Keep doing what you are doing! You are making a big difference in your little part of the world! πŸ™‚πŸ’œ

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote November 10, 2019 / 9:22 pm

Thank you so much, sweet Renee. But I owe any goodness that is in me to the Lord, and to the few very kind people who showed me love and compassion when I was utterly broken.

In my worst, most broken condition, I did some very selfish, sinful things, in my desperate and misguided attempts to find love.

• Renee/Heart Tokens November 10, 2019 / 10:53 pm

You are welcome Linda. And we owe everything we are to Him! He loves us and understands us in those broken times and conditions. He is the ultimate LOVE that we have always looked for!

2. @PreacherBiker November 10, 2019 / 10:09 pm

Great job sharing on FB TWITTER

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

3. simplywendi November 10, 2019 / 10:23 pm

Amen! God bless you for reaching out to others and letting them know they are seen. I have also been that person and just like you, I work hard at reaching out.
    Important words and message in your words.

4. Paul Martin November 11, 2019 / 6:40 am

There are many who feel lost and hopeless for a whole number of reasons. It is OUR job as believers to have discernment enough, and to be willing enough to bring hope! And worse yet are those who sit hurting, hopeless, and broken in our churches! People will make “nice nice” but don’t really want to get involved! Everyone just assumes that the broken person is “alright” because ,”they ARE in church, after all!” But the battles of hurting people often go unnoticed….Again, this is sad…and we will give an account! I too have been the hurting one! And I pray that I will never be the one who passes those who are hurting without offering genuine concern or without offering hope!

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote November 11, 2019 / 7:20 am

Thank you for what you said, Paul. Yes, it’s very true. I have been that lost, broken, lonely woman sitting in a church, hurting and needing just one person to reach out, and nobody did. Probably because, as you said, they figured I must be okay, since I was in church.

My husband and I moved to this town last year, and we are new to the church we’re going to now. I am just getting to know the people there. So I don’t know who is a regular and who is new. But yesterday, as the service was ending, I turned around and saw a young woman with that hollow, hurting look in her eyes. I walked over and said hello, introduced myself and asked how she was doing. The story that poured out of her was heartbreaking. Whew.

Her name is Rose. Please say a prayer for our sister Rose. She was the inspiration for my poem.

Sometimes, though, the needs around us are too overwhelming. In 2014, I stayed ten days in Beverly Hills, California, with my daughter, who was there for surgery at Mount Sinai hospital. I was there to help my daughter after the surgery. She’d had dangerous blood clots in her legs after a previous surgery, so I was very focused on her well-being during those ten days.

I was shocked to see that in rich Beverly Hills, there were homeless people everywhere. In front of Mount Sinai hospital. On Rodeo Drive. And camped out all over Venice Beach, the one day we visited there.

There was no way that just one person could reach out to every one of those lost, hurting people. And my daughter needed me. We needed to do a lot of walking, to reduce the risk of blood clots. So, we walked. While I silently prayed for all the hurting souls, and tried to meet as many eyes as I could with a friendly smile.

It helped me then to remember that Jesus had to withdraw from the needy crowds into the wilderness and rest, at times. Living in a human body, we can only do so much.

Thanks again, Paul.

5. ourlittleredhouseblog November 14, 2019 / 9:38 am

You are such a kind soul Linda, thank you for that. This time of year there are lots of hurt and lonely people out there and a smile plus a greeting is one of the best gifts anyone can get and give. We need more kind souls out in the world like you.