Have you ever been this tired?

I haven’t regained my strength since my husband and I both came down with the flu at the end of January, almost 8 weeks ago. My husband seems to be doing fine now, yay. But as for me, although I haven’t had a fever or any other flu symptoms for at least a month, I am still very weak.

A few nights ago I was sitting at the dinner table with our poodle on my lap, eating some walnuts, and feeling exhausted beyond belief. I took a swig of water and then, before I had even swallowed, I fell asleep. With a mouth full of water!

I woke up a moment later, spluttering and half-choking. It was scary and very weird. I have never done anything like that before.

I called the next day and made an appointment at a medical clinic. After examining me and taking my history, the nurse practitioner sent me to the hospital for blood tests. I will see her again on Monday to learn the results of the tests. In the meantime, I am still very exhausted. It doesn’t seem to matter how much sleep I’ve had, I still wake up feeling wiped out. But at least I haven’t fallen asleep mid-swallow again!

God bless you and thank you for reading. I hope that everyone who reads this is well. Here is a big grandma ((HUG)) for anyone who wants one.

32 thoughts on “Have you ever been this tired?

1. suesuzzz March 24, 2018 / 8:29 pm

Keeping the faith for you…
    Hang in there and get to feeling better soon…
    Huggggs n ♥♥♥
    Suzette

2. emergingfromthedarknight March 25, 2018 / 4:44 am

My experience with the flu here last winter was similar. It affected me for a couple of weeks and during it I had the worst attacks. I can only say it will pass but it is very scary.. somehow these flu strains seem to be getting worse. I hope you feel better soon.

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 25, 2018 / 8:18 am

Thank you so much. I am sorry you went through this, too, but very glad that you have recovered.

Twice, in the early days of my flu, my stepdaughter took me to the emergency room, hoping to get me on Tamiflu. The VA hospital had prescribed Tamiflu for my husband a couple of days earlier, when he tested positive for Influenza A. But both times that I went to the ER, the receptionist said that the wait would be at least six hours. I was too sick to be out of bed that long, so we went back home. Taking the Tamiflu may be why my husband recovered so much better than me, although I have read some negative things about it, too. Apparently some people actually get worse with the drug.

3. rubycommenting March 25, 2018 / 5:06 am

Im glad you saw the doctor Linda. Lets hope the labs will cue you in to what is going on. It must be miserable being so tired. Could you have mono maybe?

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 25, 2018 / 7:49 am

Hi, Ruby. It’s good to see you here. I guess it could be mono, I hadn’t thought of that. Hopefully I will find out tomorrow.

4. atimetoshare.me March 25, 2018 / 5:12 am

Hope you get well soon. This has been a nasty flu season!

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 25, 2018 / 8:20 am

Thank you, Kathy. I believe I am going to be able to go to church this morning. My first time since the end of January. Oh how I have missed church!

5. Lee Poskey March 25, 2018 / 6:53 am

Bless your heart, that’s tough. I’ll pray for you as well.

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 25, 2018 / 7:16 am

Thank you, Lee, I appreciate it.

Going to church is my favorite part of the week. But I haven’t been to a Sunday morning worship service since late January, because of this awful flu and its aftermath. Although I still feel very weak, I believe I am strong enough this morning to pull myself together for church. Yaaaay!

6. Doctor Jonathan March 25, 2018 / 8:21 am

I know how challenging an accurate diagnosis is when an individual has a health history background such as yours. Regardless of the diagnosis, I hope your doctors include implementing lifestyle essential components for improving immune support and functional health. Most of the lab testing only addresses some of the underlying issues. I hope for your sake they don’t simply focus on your SYMPTOMS with the goal of merely improving them. This commonly leads to chronic low grade stress on the body (oxidative stress with resulting inflammation.)

Hoping you find the TRUE UNDERLYING CAUSE and overcome it!

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 25, 2018 / 8:25 am

Thank you, Dr. Jonathan. I was already wishing I could go see you. But I don’t suppose you are anywhere close to New Mexico. . .

• Doctor Jonathan March 30, 2018 / 2:08 pm

No, I’ll bet, however, local people could probably provide quality leads for you to interview to be certain they provide services that suit your needs. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

7. adamjasonp March 25, 2018 / 11:21 pm

There are some types of influenza that can leave a person listless. If it’s mono, symptoms include swollen lymph nodes, sore throat. They may be able to identify the bug.

I hope things get sorted out and you’re able to sleep restfully during the night not fall asleep in the middle of doing something! ☺

((Hugs back))

8. Marie Abanga March 26, 2018 / 4:05 am

Dear Linda, thanks for the hug. Receive one in return. Ashia as we say here. Let’s hope the doctor and lab results and all help. I also think like Doc Jonathan says, that you get help finding the underlying cause of that tiredness. You should also rests and pamper yourself all you can and don’t be so embarrased if you sleep off while drinking (though not so safe I must admit). I have had a swollen eye for close to a month now and got tired enough to start catching myself sleep off at some real odd moments too. let’s just have faith that too shall come to pass for both of us

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 26, 2018 / 8:42 am

Sweet Marie, thank you for your kind words. I just said a prayer for your health.

• Margaret from soulfood101blog March 28, 2018 / 1:20 pm

No thanks needed :):):) I love to pray and God loves to hear our prayers. I am thanking Him that you are feeling better. Praise God!

9. bethanyk March 28, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Have you had any answers? Still praying for you!

• Linda Lee/@LadyQuixote March 29, 2018 / 9:57 pm

Thank you so much, Bethany, for your prayers and concern. That means a lot, especially considering the serious health issues that I know you deal with every day.

The answers I got from my recent bloodwork was inconclusive, to put it in a nutshell. I need to find a different health care provider.

I’m sorry I did not see your comment before now. Being so exhausted, I am way behind on everything. I don’t know how you do all that you do! I’m praying for you, too.

• bethanyk March 29, 2018 / 10:03 pm

I feel awful for you, that you are so exhausted, that you have no answers, that you now have to start again with someone else. You must be so so tired of all of it!
        I think when the physical exhaustion affects my mental exhaustion that is when I get the snowball affect and know I need to just set some priorities. But the list is long of things to do.
        I’m just so sorry you are so exhausted.
        The way I do things is rest, do, rest, do, then rest a lot.
        Truly truly hope you find answers.
        My mind is reeling with “did they check this and that” but I won’t go there because i know you don’t need that. I just get so frustrated knowing how long it takes to get answers and if they only were thorough and treated us like humans who were suffering.
        Just know i am thinking of you