The Healing Power of Laughter

Laughter is powerful medicine. I have read stories about people lying on their death bed with end-stage cancer, who were determined to go out laughing — and their cancer disappeared after watching a marathon of comedy shows!

My daughter has been going through a really rough time lately. One of the tools she typically uses to get through the hard times in life is her great sense of humor. She loves to laugh, and she can usually find something to laugh about, regardless of the circumstances. I like to think she got some of that from me.

Last week, the painful situation that my daughter has been going through was keeping her up at night. She was too upset to sleep, although she was exhausted. I was also unable to sleep. My mind simply would not turn off. So at two in the morning her time, when we both should have been sleeping, my daughter and I were sending texts back and forth.

Feeling utterly helpless, I sent her a text saying “I am so sad. Is there anything I can do to help?”

She replied “Please don’t be sad.”

Thinking of how futile it is to ask me not to be sad when my daughter is hurting, I decided to send her a picture that would demonstrate how sad I felt. Because a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

I have more than three hundred photos on my phone, so I figured I could find something appropriate to the situation. Here are the pictures I sent, along with their attached text messages:

Sad1_bear_scatSad like bear poop.

Sad2_sick_chihuahuaSad like Jay’s chihuahua when she had a sick tummy.

Sad3_abandoned_motelSad like an old abandoned motel.

Sad4_distant_memoryHappiness is just a distant memory.

Sad45_mesocyclone2Just freaking sad.

My daughter replied: “OK that made me laugh.” After that, we were both able to get some much needed sleep.

Thank you for stopping by. And remember: if you’re having a rough day, you aren’t really sad unless you are sad like bear poop. 😉

God bless.

13 thoughts on “The Healing Power of Laughter

1. Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 10, 2016 / 11:57 pm

Thank you, Sandra. I am very blessed to have my wonderful daughter in my life.

My daughter and granddaughters are on Facebook and I know they are doing everything they feel is appropriate to do under the circumstances. The problem is that, although my grandson is profoundly disabled, with the mental capacity of an 18-month-old child, he turned 18 last monthly. So in the eyes of the law he is an adult and his father is not breaking any laws by keeping him wherever he now has him.

Immediately after my grandson turned 18 in February, his father filed papers petitioning the court for full guardianship. My daughter was just served with those papers a few days ago. The court hearing is set for March 23. I am praying that the judge will see through my ex son-in-law’s treachery and will do the right thing for my daughter and grandson. But my daughter’s ex has money for a lawyer and my daughter does not. Also, his petition for sole guardianship was full of lies against my daughter and granddaughter. As you undoubtedly know, it is very difficult to disprove he-said, she-said allegations, especially when you don’t have the money for an attorney.

2. Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 11, 2016 / 8:51 am

No need to apologize for anything, but you are so sweet to do so! I would have explained more before, but the backstory is very involved and extensive.

3. Mandy March 11, 2016 / 10:03 pm

Linda, I believe humor and laughter are what got me through my childhood and helped me cope the rest of my life. I love making people laugh, it’s such a healing salve!

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 12, 2016 / 8:10 am

Oh Mandy… I just went to see if you had posted anything new and discovered that your blog has been set to private. I have done that with my previous blogs in the past, usually when I was either very depressed or when someone was bullying me online. I hope you are all right. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I could email you my phone number… hmm, first I have to find your email address, I am pretty sure I have it somewhere.

Big ((HUG)). You are awesome, Mandy. Do what you need to do to protect yourself.

• Mandy March 12, 2016 / 9:53 am

Aww, thank you for your care and support, Linda.Seriously, I’m fine. I planned to send all of my wonderful blog friends, who I’ve developed relationships with, a note explaining I find it necessary to start a new blog so I can post without restriction of those who feel the need to silence me. Call me sensitive 🙂 When I do I will re-follow you and ask you to re-follow me-though I will use a different name. btw: you are awesome, too!

4. sleeping tiger March 12, 2016 / 6:12 pm

I saw the pic and text “Sad like bear poop” before I read the post. And I’m like, “Huh?!?”
    LOL. I got it when I read though and I love the pic of you and your daughter (?)

I think I forgot you had to switch up and start another blog. I was wondering why I wasn’t getting notifications in my reader when you post. I fixed that though. 🙂

I need to catch up a bit.

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 13, 2016 / 11:01 am

Oh.. duh… I keep meaning to log back into my old WP account and post an explanation and the link to my new blog. My bad.

Thanks, yes, that is my lovely dark-haired daughter and me with the big mouth. She took our selfie with her Galaxy 6 phone. I love how it smoothes my wrinkles. 😉

• Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 13, 2016 / 9:57 pm

Thank you, but really, the camera phone smooths out a lot. Not in my daughter, her skin is smooth, I mean in me.

5. Lady Quixote/Linda Lee March 13, 2016 / 9:53 pm

Thank you! I thought you were already following my new blog. Sorry for the mix up.

I don’t look quite as young as the picture taken by my daughter’s phone makes me look. However, I do look young for being almost 63. I think the biggest reason for this is the powerful but inexpensive grape seed extract antioxidant that I have been taking regularly since 1997. Grape seed extract helps with all kinds of things, asthma, arthritis, bursitis, etc. I learned about it when I was in nursing school when I was in my early forties. I had terrible bursitis in my left shoulder and in both knees, and I had to use my rescue inhaler almost every day for asthma. One of my nursing instructors, who was into wholeistic medicine, saw how badly I was struggling and she advised me to take an antioxidant. My bursitis and asthma cleared up within a month of use, and I started looking visibly younger within two months.

I used to buy it grape seed extract cheap at Walmart, but for the past five years I have been buying it online from SwansonVitamins.com. Their prices were even better than Walmart’s last time I checked. I also do some face and neck exercises now and then, although I am not as consistent with that as I should be, and I use some anti-wrinkle creams of various kinds that I mainly buy from Swanson Vitamins. But I think taking grape seed extract is the main thing that helps me stay young and healthy.

I haven’t finished writing my guest post for you yet, so probably tomorrow I will get that done, then I will email it. I tend to be one of those last minute kind of people, sorry.

It’s great to see your smiling face and have your comments here, Lauren! YAY!!

• luckyotter March 13, 2016 / 9:56 pm

I think I’m going to try grape seed extract. I want to look as young as you when I’m 63!